Nudge requests

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
MajordomoTom

Nudge requests

Post by MajordomoTom »

if anyone is looking for a nudge for a puzzle, here's the place to request them.

yes, for the Then & Now puzzle, if anyone's willing to nudge, I'd like a bit of help. Please PM and I'll share what I've figured out so far and you can tell me if I'm going in the right direction or if I need to change rabbit holes.

TIA,
Tom
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

MajordomoTom wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:11 pm if anyone is looking for a nudge for a puzzle, here's the place to request them.

yes, for the Then & Now puzzle, if anyone's willing to nudge, I'd like a bit of help. Please PM and I'll share what I've figured out so far and you can tell me if I'm going in the right direction or if I need to change rabbit holes.

TIA,
Tom
I thought we could post public nudges here, as long as it is after the deadline. (I/m still looking for a nudge....haven't looked at the solution yet.) I have something to learn from this puzzle.
Cynthia
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

very hard public nudge:

four of the (d) clues obviously relate to word pairs in the puzzle
one doesn't. create the word pair you need, then you'll need to figure out the cartoon duo that would generate that word pair.

if you're a Gen-Xer, you'll get this immediately. If not, you probably won't get it.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Thanks, Tom. I studied for a while, then gave up. Should have given up sooner.....I was on the right track, before your nudge, but I never heard of the Wonder Twins. So I think I would never have solved this one.
Cynthia
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I was stubborn and persisted, and finally got a nudge that basically said "you have four pairs of words (which I'd told them) and five (d) clues. Pair them up, the one that's unpaired, what do you need to make that work - a cartoon duo which, if in the grid, would have those words in it".

that still didn't really help - WON/WIN was pretty vague. The lucky part was going ... duo ... ok, how about some(WON)thing ... TWINS. And my Google-fu was able to find them.

I spent far more time than a $3.99 mug would justify.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Anyone feel like providing a hint for PGWCC #41 - "Born to Bewilder"? I am bewildered.
Hector

Post by Hector »

damefox wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:49 pm Anyone feel like providing a hint for PGWCC #41 - "Born to Bewilder"? I am bewildered.
Will do...
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Counting Calories on the boat with Isaac
damefox

Post by damefox »

MGWCC "Go On In!" ... help? I have a lot of dots that I can only partially connect.
Softie

Post by Softie »

Anyone have a nudge for Counting Calories? I have meditated long and hard on 34A and don't see what to do with it.
Softie

Post by Softie »

Softie wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:18 am Anyone have a nudge for Counting Calories? I have meditated long and hard on 34A and don't see what to do with it.
Thanks to a life preserver from JoeRoss, I am belatedly ashore
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Nudges & bumps for Ringing In the New Year:

rot13.com for translations.

You have the option to translate each nudge or bump, one at a time.

The meta answer is never revealed nor are its specific components.

These are escalating hints that can point the way.

There is work to do at every level.
-------------------------

Nudge:
Bayl bar, xrl gurzr pyhr vf gbcvpny.

Bump1:
Gung xrl gurzr pyhr funerf n punenpgrevfgvp jvgu bgure gurzr pyhrf.

Bump2:
Gung xrl gurar pyhr nyfb fhttrfgf jung gb qb jvgu nyy gurzr pyhrf funevat gung punenpgrehfgvp.

Bump3:
Gurer vf n fgrc gjb.

Bump4:
Hfr rnpu gurzr pyhr'f havdhr punenpgrevfgvp jvguva vgf gurzr nafjre.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

LOCATION FINDER

I have some "location" type pointers from the 5 theme answers for the puzzle, and have tried many rabbit holes to no avail. Looking for a sympathetic muggle who might PM me with some help about my thought processes. Thanks in advance.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Tom, I would recommend printing the puzzle out if you haven't already.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

:)

printed twice and photocopied also.

working on the clues now

EDIT: and pretty solidly on shore.
damefox

Post by damefox »

For WSJ 4/5/20 "Look Inside"

I've seen several people asking for nudges, and rather than send hints individually I thought I'd post an encrypted one here. Use rot13.com for translation (just copy and paste the text below):

1) Jr unq bar gung hfrq n fvzvyne zrpunavfz va Wnahnel pnyyrq "Ybpngvba Svaqre." Gung bar jnf rira n yvggyr zber pbzcyvpngrq gung guvf bar vf.

2) Gur zrpunavfz vf n pbzzba pyhr glcr va pelcgvp pebffjbeqf, uvagrq ng ol gur ybat prageny npebff ragel.
Nycerjohnnie

Post by Nycerjohnnie »

4/16 is apparently quite easy judging by how quickly people got it, but always open to a nudge
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Nycerjohnnie wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:08 pm 4/16 is apparently quite easy judging by how quickly people got it, but always open to a nudge
The puzzle has only been out for an hour. Work on it a little, sleep on it, look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow. Put it down, come back to it, do the grid again. These are all thing you can do to knock something loose that might help you see it on your own. I find the most rewarding puzzles are the ones I get on my own after having to wrestle with them a bit. If you're still struggling Saturday night (I think you will have solved it by then), PM me and I'll give you a nudge.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

agree - this one, with some review of the completed page, will make you suddenly go ""DOH" and you'll see it, I'm guessing.

if not, PM me or Brian late Saturday ... and you'll get it pretty quickly, I expect.
UTHfan

Post by UTHfan »

my bad...

Please don't post spoilers before the deadline. If you would like a nudge, please request so in this thread without giving away anything about the puzzle. Thanks.
Last edited by UTHfan on Sat May 02, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.