Separate Page for MGWCC ?

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
wjchatto

Separate Page for MGWCC ?

Post by wjchatto »

Shouldn't Matt Gaffney's WCC have it's own page on the "Board Index" like the WSJ? Why is he relegated to the "Other Meta Puzzles" category when he could be considered the "Father of Meta Puzzles?" After all, he authors many of the WSJ Meta puzzles which has it's own page. I vote for a separate page!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

This site started as an alternative to the WSJ online commenting section, when that section was shut down to non-subscribers last year. The hope was to get as many of those WSJ posters as possible to come over, so that was kept as the focus of this site - "a place to discuss the WSJ Weekly Crossword Contest and other meta-style crosswords."

Personally, I would love it if the site were "metaxwords.com" (in retrospect, I wish I chose that as the URL), where the WSJ puzzle was along side all the other great meta puzzles out there. But of our 750 members, less than 50 or so regularly comment on the other sections - the rest are here for the WSJ conversation. My hope is that some of those WSJ folks will poke around and check out the other sections and those sections will grow - I think I've noticed more posts lately about people trying MGWCC and PGW for the first time. Part of that is coronavirus, but part of it is that in March, this site was publicized in online and print editions of the WSJ, which may not have happened if it were not seen as "the WSJ-puzzle site."

So the idea is that the WSJ puzzle, which goes out nationally to hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of readers, is what gets them in the door, and the "Other Metas" section is what keeps them coming back! [/marketing genius :D ]

I'll leave this post here for a few days, but then I'm going to move it to the Lounge, so this section can remain dedicated to discussing the weekly puzzles.
boharr

Post by boharr »

BrianMac wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:49 am My hope is that some of those WSJ folks will poke around and check out the other sections and those sections will grow
That's exactly what I did.