Aries Cryptic Meta: "Treasure Hunt"

Discuss meta crosswords from sources other than those listed above.
Eckless

Aries Cryptic Meta: "Treasure Hunt"

Post by Eckless »

Aries Cryptic #23 is a meta: https://www.ariespuzzles.com/

Agree with the author's assessment that the meta isn't terribly difficult - the cryptic part is probably the bigger challenge. :)
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Oh, I'll have to give this a try. I am *terrible* at cryptics, but I'd like to learn to do them. I tried one in my new Games magazine, and was proud that I was able to figure out exactly one answer so far. I think I need a cryptic mentor. Thanks for the link!

edited to add: My brain feels like it might explode, but I am slowly filling in this grid. I think I have enough of it filled out to answer the meta, but if there are any cryptic wizards out there, I could use some debriefing on some clues that I don't quite get. It was excellent practice, though!
LesY

Post by LesY »

That was fun! Had a strange solving experience where my mind wouldn’t let me see the meta until I finished the grid. Strange meta week.

Hope this goes smoothly for everyone. Happy to give nudges on grid entries.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Hector kindly explained to me the few clues that I didn't fully understand. (I knew the answers, but not the complete way to get there.) Then I went back to the Games cryptic that was stumping me, and I have now filled in eight more answers! I feel like I've had a little cryptic breakthrough here!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

This one had me a little confused; I thought I had the answer, but... but... but. Anyway, I was the one who was wrong, and now it all makes sense.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

It took me far too long to see the things.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

As one who enjoys metas AND cryptics, this one naturally appealed to me.

Here, the grid and meta both came quickly to me. Which has NOT been the case with other recent metas.