Joe Ross' Guide to Solving the WSJ Meta with Excel

This is a place to learn about the Muggles community and some of the terminology we use. It also contains suggested strategies for solving meta crosswords, as well as a repository of all past WSJ crossword contests and solutions.
Post Reply

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#142

Post by Joe Ross » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:12 am

20200717 WSJCC RNTT grid.gif
20200717 ABCs TTLS sheet music.gif

User avatar
pddigi
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 pm

#143

Post by pddigi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:49 am

Deleted - I think I might have posted in the wrong area.

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#144

Post by Joe Ross » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:25 am

pddigi wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:49 am
Deleted - I think I might have posted in the wrong area.
Whatever you have to post, it's welcome here.

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#145

Post by Joe Ross » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:07 pm


User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#146

Post by Joe Ross » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:13 am

WSJ CC No1.gif
WSJ CC No3.gif
WSJ CC No2.gif


User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#148

Post by Joe Ross » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:13 am

I will create Excel forms for crosswords, cryptics, & acrostics, if they aren't hexagonal & if they do not vary too far from a 15x15 grid. PM me if you want a particular puzzle in Excel. Anyone may request this, particularly creators. If it is a standard 15x15 puzzle, do not hesitate to ask.

I don't post links to subscribed puzzles, for the obvious reason. I create & use a spreadsheet for MGWCC, every week, since I subscribe and (attempt to) solve. If you subscribe, feel free to request it, once, & I will PM the link every week, until you say "Stop."

I also create a spreadsheet for the weekly WSJ Number Puzzles. IMO, it's the perfect tool for solving Killer Sudoku. No, it doesn't "solve" the puzzle via formulas, although it could be modified to do so. You'd have to edit it yourself, or find someone much smarter than me.

If a Muggle (or creator) subscribes to a puzzle, PM me & I can create it. I will also send the standard 15x15 blank, with instructions on how to create your own. You'll need to send me the PDF or PUZ file. I include the clues, if they are available in an image, such as a PDF. I will not type a puzzle's worth of clues.

After creating a few, a standard 15x15 puzzle requires 2 or 3 minutes to create the form, 5 total minutes, maybe, including posting or PMing the link.

This Saturday's WSJ Acrostic is wider & is shallower, so it took me awhile to create it. I'm not a fan of spending 30+ minutes creating a single puzzle form. Ask, but I may decline!

Inca
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:55 pm

#149

Post by Inca » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:08 am

You are so nice to offer this.
I have a technical question. I've noticed that when I tab after filling a square on the crossword grid that while it normally advances to the next square, if it is the last square of the word, it will advance to the next "white" square, jumping over the black ones. (BTW, I love this) How do you do that?

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#150

Post by Joe Ross » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:21 am

The black cells (of grid #1) and all numbered cells are locked (Format Cells... Protection...) and cannot be edited. Excel skips locked cells when TABbing.

The black cells of grids #2 through #15 can have characters, which show as light gray.

User avatar
KayW
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 am
Location: Chicago

#151

Post by KayW » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:16 pm

Joe Ross wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:13 am
I will create Excel forms for crosswords, cryptics, & acrostics, if they aren't hexagonal & if they do not vary too far from a 15x15 grid. PM me if you want a particular puzzle in Excel. Anyone may request this, particularly creators. If it is a standard 15x15 puzzle, do not hesitate to ask.

I don't post links to subscribed puzzles, for the obvious reason. I create & use a spreadsheet for MGWCC, every week, since I subscribe and (attempt to) solve. If you subscribe, feel free to request it, once, & I will PM the link every week, until you say "Stop."

I also create a spreadsheet for the weekly WSJ Number Puzzles. IMO, it's the perfect tool for solving Killer Sudoku. No, it doesn't "solve" the puzzle via formulas, although it could be modified to do so. You'd have to edit it yourself, or find someone much smarter than me.

If a Muggle (or creator) subscribes to a puzzle, PM me & I can create it. I will also send the standard 15x15 blank, with instructions on how to create your own. You'll need to send me the PDF or PUZ file. I include the clues, if they are available in an image, such as a PDF. I will not type a puzzle's worth of clues.

After creating a few, a standard 15x15 puzzle requires 2 or 3 minutes to create the form, 5 total minutes, maybe, including posting or PMing the link.

This Saturday's WSJ Acrostic is wider & is shallower, so it took me awhile to create it. I'm not a fan of spending 30+ minutes creating a single puzzle form. Ask, but I may decline!
Joe that is unbelievably kind of you to offer to create a template for the acrostics. But IMHO the online solving mechanism that WSJ already provides for acrostics is more than adequate and friendly. And this is coming from the queen of the paper dinosaurs!

(Acrostics are the only puzzle type I've found so far that I actually prefer to solve online. Because transcribing the letters from the answer key to the grid is so tedious. And in the case of my geezer eyesight, incredibly error-prone!)
Last edited by KayW on Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inca
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:55 pm

#152

Post by Inca » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:44 pm

Joe Ross wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:21 am
The black cells (of grid #1) and all numbered cells are locked (Format Cells... Protection...) and cannot be edited. Excel skips locked cells when TABbing.

The black cells of grids #2 through #15 can have characters, which show as light gray.
Aaaah, that makes sense, thanks

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#153

Post by Joe Ross » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:00 am

Tormented Artists JPR.gif



User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#156

Post by Joe Ross » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:12 am

In creating an Excel form for an unusual cryptic, I was embarrassed :oops: to realize that I had not publicly acknowledged Dplass for his suggestion that the Excel forms use a fixed-width font, Consolas. I changed the font, when suggested a few weeks ago, and agree that it is a much-needed improvement. Thank you!

Constant feedback from KayW has been extremely useful & appreciated!

Which reminds me to request others to make suggestions on how to improve these Excel-based forms, or to ask questions on how to use. The aim is to make solving puzzles easier. If these do not, please give me the chance to improve the forms until they do.

Many thanks and best luck, Muggles!

Joe

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#157

Post by Joe Ross » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:09 pm


User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#158

Post by Joe Ross » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:20 am

I did not find this puzzle easy, until I did. Below is maybe 1/2 of what I tried, having overwritten other attempts & rabbit holes plumbed.

20200821 WSJCC Less and Less JR1.gif
20200821 WSJCC Less and Less JR2.gif


User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#160

Post by Joe Ross » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:07 pm


Post Reply