Episode #240 Contest: "Angling for Words"

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
bcimmet

Episode #240 Contest: "Angling for Words"

Post by bcimmet »

Hello, solvers! There's a new contest crossword on Fill Me In. I think this one is rather easy (perhaps easier to get the answer than to understand why), so I'll rate it 1.9 bananas on a scale of 5 bananas. (Bananas has nothing to do with the puzzle, it's just a 1-to-5 scale we made up.)

The puzzle is called "Angling for Words" The solution to the puzzle is a well-known children's book.

The crossword can be downloaded from here. You're welcome to solve, you're even welcome to join in the chatter about the puzzle -- but if you want to be eligible for a prize, you have to listen to the podcast for this week's password. The podcast can be found here (via Apple Podcasts), or just search for it wherever you enjoy podcasts.

Thanks for joining us on this relatively new adventure of contest crosswords. Feel free to contact me at brian@bemoresmarter.com if you have any suggestions, questions, comments, or ideas.
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Another enjoyable puzzle...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I was a bit leery of this one since I don't know much about children's books, but I got it. Very nice!

Thank you for choosing a password that I could figure out how to spell.
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:03 pm Thank you for choosing a password that I could figure out how to spell.
No one liked last week's password. I let Ryan pick it this time around.
--
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
CPKdad

Post by CPKdad »

I'm like 90% sure I got this one. I have un-fond memories of this week's password.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I'm more like 60% sure. (I think.)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I’d say it’s a 100%er and guess there are some confirming bits you haven’t noticed yet.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I'm sure I have it.

As for GARBAGE FILL, or "junk fill," does anyone call it "landfill?" Seems apt...
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it! Cute puzzle. I already emailed in my answer, but does someone want to confirm with me? I'm only like 80-90% confident, and I don't want to wait two weeks!
Hector

Post by Hector »

(PMed damefox.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well gosh, I see the obvious but get nothing from it, I guess there is something else I am not seeing? This looks to require an interpretation and I ALWAYS get into trouble with that.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

My kid (18, but definitely closer to children's books than I am) got it, it's a 100%er.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I'm with Dr. Tom on this one. I haven't quite gotten the feel for these yet. I'm 0/2, hoping third time is a charm here. I noticed the Disney princesses two puzzles ago and had a correct hunch about what the correct answer would end up being, but didn't notice the mechanism to take the first letters of the clues. And the Six Pack one never came to me. We'll see how I fare on this one!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, I'm seeing all these 100% and "confirming bits" and the answer I am coming up with is generated from something so glaringly simple that it MUST be wrong. I guess I'm just going to have to pick this apart looking for some Shenkian or Gaffneyesque tomfoolery!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

Great puzzle.
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore. Good puzzle. Very difficult to get if you don't read the prompt first, and then very easy once you read it.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it.
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

The solution to the Contest of Episode 240 was ONE FISH, TWO FISH, RED FISH, BLUE FISH.

On each of four lines of the grid, there were entries that were different names of fish. On two of the lines, there were color references.
  • line 3: FLOUNDER (one fish)
  • line 6: BASS / CARP (two fish)
  • line 10: WINE / SOLE (red fish)
  • line 15: LEWD / PERCH (blue fish)
Some solvers went the extra mile with types of SOLE and types of PERCH in the hope of confirming the colors, but the intent was in the entries that preceded the fish names.

Thanks for playing ... and check out the new post for the Contest of Episode 242!
--
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

bcimmet wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:53 am The solution to the Contest of Episode 240 was ONE FISH, TWO FISH, RED FISH, BLUE FISH.

On each of four lines of the grid, there were entries that were different names of fish. On two of the lines, there were color references.
  • line 3: FLOUNDER (one fish)
  • line 6: BASS / CARP (two fish)
  • line 10: WINE / SOLE (red fish)
  • line 15: LEWD / PERCH (blue fish)
Some solvers went the extra mile with types of SOLE and types of PERCH in the hope of confirming the colors, but the intent was in the entries that preceded the fish names.

Thanks for playing ... and check out the new post for the Contest of Episode 242!
If you could have fit HERRING in there instead of SOLE, everyone would have been afraid to submit ;)
spotter

Post by spotter »

I don't think I'd have gotten this one no matter how hard I tried