Ticket to Ride (First meta)

Puzzles created by members of Xword-Muggles.com. Here you can post links to puzzles of any kind that you created - crosswords (meta or non-meta), cryptic, variety, word search, number puzzles, riddles, brainteasers and anything else.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:57 pm This is either harder than a 2.5, or I'm just not seeing it -- the latter of which being more likely.

Though I remain intrigued. So I'll return to staring at the grid soon.
This was a well-constructed puzzle. And for a first-timer? I was impressed.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Yay! With some nudging (uh, maybe more like shoving), I finally got it. And as it happens, an early wild guess turned out to be the solution. Though it took me until now to find the meta way to get there.

Good one! Clever, and very nicely hinted at (which I can now see clearly in hindsight).

I do have a slight nitpick. I'll wait, obviously, for the answer to be announced before sharing. I believe other solvers may have the same minor criticism. (Then again, my nitpick may have to do with me just missing something -- which wouldn't be surprising.)

Very impressive, especially for a first try.

Congrats to Djquimby!
Djquimby

Post by Djquimby »

Any preference on how and when to post the solution? Is there a spoiler tag?
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Djquimby wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:22 pm Any preference on how and when to post the solution? Is there a spoiler tag?
Dealer's choice. Unfortunately, no spoiler tag, but sometimes we use ROT-13.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I think I have it. It is definitely not the answer I came up with yesterday.
Meg

Post by Meg »

With some collaboration, finally!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

There's an answer I want to get, but I can't figure out how to get there. (Or to any other answer...)
Djquimby

Post by Djquimby »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:08 pmI do have a slight nitpick. I'll wait, obviously, for the answer to be announced before sharing. I believe other solvers may have the same minor criticism. (Then again, my nitpick may have to do with me just missing something -- which wouldn't be surprising.)
Solution pages added to the original post.

I have a self-nitpick about the final step of the meta, so I'm interested to see if it's in the same vicinity.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Djquimby wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:04 am
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:08 pmI do have a slight nitpick. I'll wait, obviously, for the answer to be announced before sharing. I believe other solvers may have the same minor criticism. (Then again, my nitpick may have to do with me just missing something -- which wouldn't be surprising.)
Solution pages added to the original post.

I have a self-nitpick about the final step of the meta, so I'm interested to see if it's in the same vicinity.
Nice! I was trying to get that answer and was halfway there, but didn't take the necessary next step. I have been having meta troubles lately!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Very impressive; multiple levels of elegance. Hope you have more in the quiver...
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Link to Ticket to Ride Excel form.

PM me with questions & suggestions, please.

(Apologies for late posting!)
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Hector

Post by Hector »

If we want spoiler tags, several extensions to phpBB are available for that: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/custom_bbcodes-26
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Hector wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:26 pm If we want spoiler tags, several extensions to phpBB are available for that: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/custom_bbcodes-26
Thanks, Hector. These look pretty simple to implement. I will take a look and see what I can do.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

nicely done and nice construction.

it was my second guess, but I hadn't discovered the mechanism. agree, very elegant.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Very nicely done! I didn't get the meta, but I should have. I zeroed in on the answer TONY HAWK, as a quote-unquote "athlete" who "rode" something, and I just couldn't let go of it.

I am testing out one of the Spoiler features that Hector linked to. It is accomplished by putting the language you want "protected" into BBCode, the same way you would with bold, italics or underline:

Code: Select all

[spoiler]the text you want protected[/spoiler]
You just click on the spoiler button to reveal it, and again to hide it.

There is also an option to add a button next to the bold, italics, underline buttons, so you just have to highlight the "secret" text and then click the button (again, the same way bold, italics, underline work). I am a little hesitant to add that, however, because I'm worried people might see it as an invitation to post spoilers prior to a contest's deadline, particularly in the WSJ forum. I wish I could limit the functionality to just this forum and the Lounge, but it can only be site-wide.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BrianMac wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:57 pm Very nicely done! I didn't get the meta, but I should have. I zeroed in on the answer TONY HAWK, as a quote-unquote "athlete" who "rode" something, and I just couldn't let go of it.

I am testing out one of the Spoiler features that Hector linked to. It is accomplished by putting the language you want "protected" into BBCode, the same way you would with bold, italics or underline:

Code: Select all

[spoiler]the text you want protected[/spoiler]
You just click on the spoiler button to reveal it, and again to hide it.

There is also an option to add a button next to the bold, italics, underline buttons, so you just have to highlight the "secret" text and then click the button (again, the same way bold, italics, underline work). I am a little hesitant to add that, however, because I'm worried people might see it as an invitation to post spoilers prior to a contest's deadline, particularly in the WSJ forum. I wish I could limit the functionality to just this forum and the Lounge, but it can only be site-wide.
Very cool!
Hector

Post by Hector »

A little discussion of the clever mechanism, slightly off-color as well: I guess the Pearl with Nashville as home is Minnie. She didn't come to mind, even though I knew the OYSTER go-with had to start with N. Nor did Minnie jump out with whatever googling I tried, so I looked to the other N-entries: NASS (nothing helpful there) and . . . NADS. Aha! Is there perhaps a sense of "pearl" that could denote a thing "at home" among 'nads? That led me to web pages with endless lists of synonyms for private parts, none of which, alas, included "pearl." :)

Edit: cool implementation of the spoiler mechanism---thanks, Brian!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

yep, that RISD mascot ... wow, very interesting that they're that edgy.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

BrianMac wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:57 pm I am a little hesitant to add that, however, because I'm worried people might see it as an invitation to post spoilers prior to a contest's deadline, particularly in the WSJ forum. I wish I could limit the functionality to just this forum and the Lounge, but it can only be site-wide.
That was my first thought when I read about this idea. It would be convenient for post-deadline discussions and no-deadline puzzles, but I wouldn't want to see it used while a contest is running.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I think I have it—message sent