"Popup Adds"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
TPS

Post by TPS »

I had to stop working on the Grid.

I really enjoyed the first part but then hit some clues that I just have no idea on.

I'll pick it up tomorrow and hopefully complete with the help of Google.

Not seeing anything meta related - I'll probably end up waiting until after the hints are posted before I try the meta since I really don't have even an idea.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

"Off the Couch" recap, Day 1:

1. Meg
2. Cindy
3. ChrisKochmanski
4. Boharr
5. OldJudge
6. Laura M.
7. Abide

Obviously, I can't help but note that this is the lowest first day total so far, which we all know generally means that the fault lies with the constructor, not the solver. Brian and I suspected that might happen because this one is...different... from our normal metas. For that reason (and so I don't quit or get driven out of the world of meta construction), I'm moving Nudge Wednesday one day earlier for a hint that might help:

There are four symmetrically placed theme entries...or at least, with your help, there will be.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:58 am ...and so I don't quit or get driven out of the world of meta construction...
Never gonna happen.
Abide

Post by Abide »

BarbaraK post helped me guess what the answer was. I still have no idea how to get there.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:58 am "Off the Couch" recap, Day 1:

1. Meg
2. Cindy
3. ChrisKochmanski
4. Boharr
5. OldJudge
6. Laura M.
7. Abide

Obviously, I can't help but note that this is the lowest first day total so far, which we all know generally means that the fault lies with the constructor, not the solver. Brian and I suspected that might happen because this one is...different... from our normal metas. For that reason (and so I don't quit or get driven out of the world of meta construction), I'm moving Nudge Wednesday one day earlier for a hint that might help:

There are four symmetrically placed theme entries...or at least, with your help, there will be.
Monday was an off-line day for some people (due to Yom Kippur) so don't let it get to you.

Also, I'm with TPS. Can't even finish the grid...
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

Grid filled in so fluidly, I felt like I was tuned into the correct wavelength, and then.....
I have a collection of interesting things I have found in the grid that don't mean anything, and I've tried some mechanisms based on the title.
I guess I will look at the nudge and see where that leads me. I hope it's more helpful than "look for something that's not there yet," which pretty much describes all my clueless meanderings in search of a meta.
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

I feel like I'm close to seeing something, but can't quite put it together.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Backsolved my way to what I thought it would be. PMing now, with explanation.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Finally got the mechanism. Awaiting confirmation.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Finally got back and finished the grid (well except one 2 clues but I highly doubt they are involved in the meta). Fun grid - I needed Google but much less than I thought I would last night.

No clue on the meta. Had a very obvious idea that didn't work.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Got it. I had the right idea early on but it took the spoiler to see how to apply it.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Confirmed OTC. Very fun puzzle. Nice cluing, especially 31D.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Still trying to put it together. Too many ways to interpret the title.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Anita wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:40 pm Still trying to put it together. Too many ways to interpret the title.
Tomorrow is another day. In fact, it's Nudge Wednesday!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Leaderboard, day 2:

8. FrankieHeck
9. BarbaraK
10. markhr
11. Hector

Nudge Wednesday hint #1:
You may have thought the clue for 1A was awkwardly worded. You may have been on to something.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Not going to happen. Fun grid - thanks for making!
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

I thought I knew the answer yesterday... now I'm SURE I know the answer, but still no clue how to get there... going to keep working it.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good news. There is only about 50,000 fast food chains in the US. Not as good odds as Tennessee but not infinite.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

TPS wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:49 am Not going to happen. Fun grid - thanks for making!
Same. Thanks for the puzzle! But, ... I'm laughing at my incompetence right now... I'm in the "this is a meta?!" stage of denial now.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:51 am
TPS wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:49 am Not going to happen. Fun grid - thanks for making!
Same. Thanks for the puzzle! But, ... I'm laughing at my incompetence right now... I'm in the "this is a meta?!" stage of denial now.
I'm hoping when all is said and done, you'll both be more like "Ah man, I could have gotten that" than "Never, never, never." I never want the latter to happen. Never, never, never.