"Left-Right! Left-Right!"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Djquimby

Post by Djquimby »

Unreclined!

(This will not catch on)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I'm 90% sure I got it.

Updated: got it. Off the couch.

Thanks Al for the puzzle!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm still on the couch (I like this) but have two comments about the grid before I forget.

- The aviation equivalent of 25A is sending the new line boy to the hangar to get a bucket of prop wash and a few feet of flight line

- I'd never heard of 35D or seen that movie
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:04 pm I'm still on the couch (I like this) but have two comments about the grid before I forget.

- The aviation equivalent of 25A is sending the new line boy to the hangar to get a bucket of prop wash and a few feet of flight line

- I'd never heard of 35D or seen that movie
I like seeing the "solved" metaphor come to life before our eyes. "On the couch" is roughly equivalent to "On the ship/with Isaac...", etc. So when you're off the couch, are you "headed to the fridge"? "Hitting the fresh air"? We need one soon!

Loved your 25D. A right of passage for the noob, for sure. Regarding 35D, the movie is fun and that scene is...popular with a certain demographic (read: guys).
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

It's Sunday afternoon, which means it's time for the reveal for last Monday's Muggle Meta Monday puzzle, "Left-Right! Left-Right!" Final tally: 18 people made it off the couch, and we had no incorrect submissions. Here is the answer and explanation:

“Left-Right, Left-Right!”*

There were four long Across entries in the grid:
NOTIMETOLOSE
FOOLSERRANDS
TATTOOSLEEVE
ARTOOSELFIES

In each, five letters appeared together, except one of them – the “L” – kept moving one space to the right each time (hence the title):

OLOSE
OOLSE
OOSLE
OOSEL

So what place hasn’t the “L” taken yet? The first spot: In other words, we’ve seen these letters arranged “Every Which Way But LOOSE,” which is indeed a 70s movie.

*Rejected titles were: “Monkey Business,” “Where the L?” and “Do You Feel LuckyGuest, Punk?” (Brian’s)
LeftRightLeftRight.jpg
boharr

Post by boharr »

I didn't end up getting it, even with the nudge and knowing the movie. Damn moveable L. But I enjoyed trying and thanks for putting it up.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Cool. I saw LOOSE scrambled but didn't catch the systematic movement of the L.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I am definitely losing my meta mojo. This was a great execution, but it remained firmly in my blind spot. I might have tried harder, but as it was supposed to be a week 1, I decided I was just too dumb and moved on. Now I'm stuck somewhere in the middle of PGW's, and on Team Nope for Matt's. Not enjoying the slump, and I hope it's just that, and that it's not my new normal. So far the WSJs have still been doable, at least.

Sorry I didn't get it! I always feel like I've let the constructor down when I fail. :-/
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:09 pm I am definitely losing my meta mojo. This was a great execution, but it remained firmly in my blind spot. I might have tried harder, but as it was supposed to be a week 1, I decided I was just too dumb and moved on. Now I'm stuck somewhere in the middle of PGW's, and on Team Nope for Matt's. Not enjoying the slump, and I hope it's just that, and that it's not my new normal. So far the WSJs have still been doable, at least.

Sorry I didn't get it! I always feel like I've let the constructor down when I fail. :-/
^^This. Describes my last week or two to a tee. Except I wasn't quite on as good a streak as you were, Frankie.

Al this was a cool puzzle. I got caught seeing "___ to Lose" and "Fools ___" and filling those in with movie titles (Nothing to Lose, Fools Rush In) and thought somehow I could do that with the other two. Clearly couldn't do that with ARTOO SELFIES. But was trying to alternate left-right / left-right. I think had I noticed the LOOSE I would have been tempted to submit Footloose (even though it was an 80s movie) to fit the left-right theme.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

joequavis wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:17 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:09 pm I am definitely losing my meta mojo. This was a great execution, but it remained firmly in my blind spot. I might have tried harder, but as it was supposed to be a week 1, I decided I was just too dumb and moved on. Now I'm stuck somewhere in the middle of PGW's, and on Team Nope for Matt's. Not enjoying the slump, and I hope it's just that, and that it's not my new normal. So far the WSJs have still been doable, at least.

^^This. Describes my last week or two to a tee. Except I wasn't quite on as good a streak as you were, Frankie.

Al this was a cool puzzle. I got caught seeing "___ to Lose" and "Fools ___" and filling those in with movie titles (Nothing to Lose, Fools Rush In) and thought somehow I could do that with the other two. Clearly couldn't do that with ARTOO SELFIES. But was trying to alternate left-right / left-right. I think had I noticed the LOOSE I would have been tempted to submit Footloose (even though it was an 80s movie) to fit the left-right theme.
More than a few liked Footloose...