"Talk to the Hand"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Off the couch! (but only with help from Google) A very entertaining grid and meta; plus I now have two new phrases in my vocabulary - the one I guessed at, and the one the interwebs informed this geezer was more likely the answer.

Brava, damefox! Thank you for sharing this with us.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
damefox

Post by damefox »

The weekend got away from me, and I forgot to post the solution to this puzzle! Thanks to all of you who took the time to solve and for all your kind words. By my count, 27 Muggles found the solution, which is way more people than I expected to even give the puzzle a shot, so that's very exciting. Also I think many of you learned a new phrase. Anyway, the solution grid is:
Talk_to_the_Hand_SOLUTION.jpg
The word CLAP, highlighted above, is hidden backwards in the three long across entries, so the two-word phrase we're looking for is CLAP BACK. (I just saw a news article use this phrase on Friday!) I have to admit, I knew going in there was a chance many people on this forum would not be familiar with this phrase, as it definitely skews more millennial, but given the number of puzzles I solve that seem to be aimed squarely at boomers, I thought it was time to mix things up. My hope was that the mechanism was obvious enough that even if you weren't familiar with the phrase, Google would clue you in pretty fast.

Thanks again everyone! Onto the next MMM!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

...and not to mention the clever tie-in to the puzzle's title. Again, very nicely done Emma.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

damefox wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:54 am The weekend got away from me,
Excuses, excuses. ;)