"Backup Plan"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Reveal for “Backup Plan.” Answer: DONE

While there weren’t any obvious theme answers, the title – “Backup Plan” – and the entry for 52A – MAKE A U TURN – were intended to tell you that you were to go back to the clues and read them all in reverse order… where four reversed clues would point to four different grid entries whose initial letters, read in grid order, would spell out the answer.

Pretty simple idea, but it turns out that this was much harder to execute than it might seem. Sure, there are pages and pages of palindromic words/phrases on the Interwebs, but I didn’t want to use any one-word clues that jumped right out as a familiar palindrome (think DESSERTS/STRESSED, DIAPER/REPAID, etc.), so that meant I had to either concatenate two or more words that, together, sounded like an innocuous clue, and still sounded like a normal clue when read backwards, OR make up my own phrases with non-palindromic words.

Anyway, I settled on:

18A: “Late edit,” which was ERRATA PAGE; but reversed, “Tide, et al,” pointed to DETERGENTS.
32A: “Stops guns,” which was UNARMS; but reversed, “Snug spots” pointed to NICHES.
51A: “Draw a lager,” which was TAP; but reversed, “Regal award” pointed to OBE.

So that was three, and in order, we have D-O-N_, and most people deduced that the answer must be DONE… but where the heck was that final E??

Here’s where backsolving helped some people. There were five E entries occurring after NICHES, but of those, the only viable ones were ENSIGN and ERRANT. And with that in mind, people went back through the clues yet again to see what they might not have picked up before, and there – the very first clue – was “General,” which at first glance, looks like it reverses to gibberish, but parsed differently, reads “Laren, e.g.” Who, what or where is Laren? I didn’t know either, so I reverted to Mr. G., and Wikipedia listed a “Ro Laren” as a Star Trek, the Next Generation character. So how does that help me?? Well, it helped a lot; turns out Ro Laren was an Ensign… sweet!

…or maybe not. A lot of people didn’t like that it was so arcane… and I don’t blame them. I wish I had worked on this for a few more days to come up with something more in the every day vernacular. But I didn’t, and there it is. Congrats to the 28 solvers, and to Cindy/KitchenDiva for being the first.
Backup Plan.jpg
boharr

Post by boharr »

Thanks again, Al.
Hector

Post by Hector »

And this was the reveal that our constructor is Isla Fisher in disguise.

(Al Sisti? It's Isla!)

I'll see myself out...
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

But, but, but, but.........
Didn't anybody else want the "real" answer to: What You'll Be When You've Solved It to be:
PAGEANTED, DUH
backuppaint.png
Yup, you gotta "back up" here and there to achieve it, and even make a U turn to get the DUH in! :)

Thanks, Al --- you put a lot of work into the puzzle!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Al, last chance to make Fladna Krom your very own Yma Sumac!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

MarkL wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:13 pm Al, last chance to make Fladna Krom your very own Yma Sumac!
Yeah, really; I could've made a whole page of posts just with the funny comments that were PMed to me.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well once again I proved that if there was an odd or hard way to do something I could find it. I deduced it was DON E so I had to find the E and you are correct ENSIGN or ERRANT were the logical choices. So I looked and I looked and I found it: 59. I, for one.

That reverses to EN or OF1, but for the life of me I could not figure out why you would use the NATO designation (OF-1) when the US Navy designation was O1 and really EN should be ENS - all of which I mentioned to you and you asked "What", that's not the clue. I then searched long and hard and never found it, so I finally go a minute and came looking at the reveal. Yep I'd have never gotten the E the way you intended, but it just shows you there is often a completely unintended way to skin a cat, or certainly an Ensign.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!