"Sound Off" - May 29, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ALS

Post by ALS »

Suddenly figured it out after one false start. It's tricky.

ALS
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

Just want to post to record I am definitely on the ship, no shore in sight.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Still LAS.
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

I have no idea. I feel as though I have looked at this ever way I can and still cannot see a path.
Colin

Post by Colin »

The light does not yet shine on this sleepy head. Still with Isaac.
One world. One planet. One future.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Hopelessly LAS. I have one possible guess but the five-letter word I come up with doesn't seem to have any relation to the puzzle's title.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

tigerfly222 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:26 am Hopelessly LAS. I have one possible guess but the five-letter word I come up with doesn't seem to have any relation to the puzzle's title.
OK, I'm on shore. Phew. I had the right idea but took me awhile to find the right way to apply it.
It's a long weekend here (tomorrow is Whit Monday, or in Catalan "Segona Pascua" which literally means "Second Easter") so I feel no guilt in having an extra bevvie on this fine sunny afternoon. Pineapple marg for me!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

UPDATE - On Shore! I had mis-interpreted one piece of the puzzle and a gentle nudge to re-look at the puzzle and my logic got me to where I need to be. No doubt that this is correct.

One foot on the boat and one on the shore, got a good clue but I want more (apologies to Sammy Hagar). I got two words that I think could fit the theme. I will noodle over these today while I work on MGWCC.
Last edited by ky-mike on Sun May 31, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I'm interested in the alternative answers several muggles have mentioned. I am 100% certain that I have submitted the correct answer, but truly enjoy when alternate answers can be found.

Looking forward to Monday postings of all alternates, please, thank you, and you're all much too kind!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:44 am
My cousin was Bobey Salerno (for non-baseball fans, he was a long-time umpire who famously got fired with another umpire for trying to unionize umpiring). Anyway, he got Mantle and Maris to sign a baseball to me and my two brothers. This was in the spring of 1961; the year they would go on to hit 115 home runs between them. For some stupid reason, we used to handle it so much -- possibly including playing with it -- that you can barely read the signatures now. I had brought it to our minor league baseball park where I was going to meet a guy who was going to look at it to tell me what it was worth... I never got to see him because I got hit in the face with a line drive and an ambulance had to take me out. Ah, good times.
Man you really remind me of Seinfeld's Kramer, Al! have you ever considered selling your stories to J. Peterman?? You'd make a fortune! ;)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

joequavis wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:17 am
My cousin was Bobey Salerno (for non-baseball fans, he was a long-time umpire who famously got fired with another umpire for trying to unionize umpiring). Anyway, he got Mantle and Maris to sign a baseball to me and my two brothers. This was in the spring of 1961; the year they would go on to hit 115 home runs between them. For some stupid reason, we used to handle it so much -- possibly including playing with it -- that you can barely read the signatures now. I had brought it to our minor league baseball park where I was going to meet a guy who was going to look at it to tell me what it was worth... I never got to see him because I got hit in the face with a line drive and an ambulance had to take me out. Ah, good times.
Man you really remind me of Seinfeld's Kramer, Al! have you ever considered selling your stories to J. Peterman?? You'd make a fortune! ;)
The real question was whether Al had a Guinness in his hand at the time. (even if he was underage)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:27 am
joequavis wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:17 am
The real question was whether Al had a Guinness in his hand at the time. (even if he was underage)
Actually, I was extremely lucky. I was holding my one-year old son and had put him down to light my pipe, and the next thing I knew, one of my friends said "Dude, you've gotta sit down!" I said "Why?" and he said "Because you just got hit in the face!" I looked down and -- without getting graphic -- noticed right away that he was right. Broke my nose, both cheekbones and a tooth... but it hit right where I was holding my son seconds earlier. I'll take that tradeoff 7 days a week.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I've got nothin'! So rather than tunneling in more rabbit holes, I'm going to do a different type of digging in my gardens. The weeds are thriving due to the daily rains we've been having - very unusual for this time of year around here!
Sara
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Finally on shore ... to a hearty chorus of, "Jeez, what took you so long?" And along with seconding the notion that a new day so often brings enlightenment, I'll posit that any meta that makes me smile is a good 'un.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning Muggles

An early report after reading the life and times of Al Sisti. Anything but boring.

We have several new muggles since yesterday: elementary, Amy, M and M, and Tori.I Welcome to all and good luck on the puzzles

Currently we have a crowded ship of 30 keeping Isaac in business and 93 on the shore.

Emerging to either tend Maine Marge's garden on the stern or keep Isaac company are
streroto
DrTom
higgysue
JennyByrd
zacmoretz
elementary
Flamel616
JeanneC
FrankH
Amy
Jackie88
Colin
and Hidden in 3D

Making their way to the shore through a variety of methods - slogging being the most common are
boharr who was there all along but socially distanced
howardl
Beth C
Brian
Fred
Nlobb
horsesense
M and M
LittleGood
Heidi
MileHighsolver
Omnibus
Schmeel
ALS
PlymouthRock
Tori.I
Homer
tigerfly222
and Tom Wilson

Good luck to all and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Teddybear

Post by Teddybear »

Hey folks, been doing the WSJ and MGWCC weekly all year but only just now hopped on here. Still struggling with this week's puzzle, but I suppose we'll see what the day brings.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Glad to say that I got it. Pieces kept bubbling up but I needed to step away and let it percolate and then the solution could ooze out and I could sit down and relax with my ouzo and enjoy the rest of the day.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

On shore, after a kind nudge.
Spent yesterday on the shore "in real life" as well, which was finally reopened here, my first time there since lockdown, and it was heavenly.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I posted what is the closest I can get to a solution. It fits but we shall see. Bob, count me in the still swimming at least until midnight....now to see about that MGWCC week 5. A tough weekend.

Stay well all
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Still hopelessly at sea. Yesterday was also pretty horrific in our neighborhood in LA. Riots destroyed many family owned small businesses. Praying it doesn’t resume today.