#618 - "Get the Idea Across"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BrianMac
Site Admin

#618 - "Get the Idea Across"

Post by BrianMac »

The Week 1 puzzle for April has been released.

The answer is something beautiful that's four letters long.

Enjoy and good luck!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it. Submitted like 30 seconds after the board updated, so I have to wait to be totally sure. Maybe a week 1.5.

Edit: on the board!
Last edited by damefox on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Got it! Easy grid and meta.
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Alas - the problem with a week 1 - too much time after finishing. And even worse now with more time at home.
Hector

Post by Hector »

If it were a couple of days ago I would have gone with, "Wow, what an amazing extra level; pure brilliance!"
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Fun one. Easy but not week-1-disappointing solve.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beam me up! Now what am I going to do all weekend?
Heidi
Joe

Post by Joe »

Yup, quick solve. I have a question, though, which I will hold back on. Not a quibble, just... a question.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
spotter

Post by spotter »

Easy as they come. Will give me more time to try to nail WSJ.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Done. The new streak begins!

Trifecta this week (PGWCC, WSJ and MGWCC).

When does MMMM come out?
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Done. I guess I would like to see the puzzles be a little tougher than this, even week ones. Having said that, hats off to Matt for focusing on something beautiful during this otherwise ugly time. Oh, and I was happy to see the curling clue. In my younger days I curled competitively. It’s a great sport that needs more love.
Last edited by oldjudge on Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

ky-mike wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:52 pm Done. The new streak begins!

Trifecta this week (PGWCC, WSJ and MGWCC).

When does MMMM come out?
Tuesday!
Heidi
LesY

Post by LesY »

Beam me up! I tried to have more fun by ignoring the prompt, and ended up creating an obstacle that was actually part of the path. Too funny (at least to me). Enjoyable solve!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:13 pm Done. I guess I would like to see the puzzles be a little tougher than this, even week ones. Having said that, hats off to Matt for focusing on something beautiful during this otherwise ugly time. Oh, and I was happy to see the curling clue. In my younger days I curled competitively. It’s a great sport that needs more love.
I live 2 miles away from the Utica Curling Club, which this year hosted the 135th annual Mitchell Bonspiel, and Utica also hosted the Curling World Championships in 1970. I don't play (do you "play" curling? Sounds like something that MItchell -- no relation to the Bonspeil -- on Modern Family would say), but they do have open houses where you can try it out. I bowl, I have played bocce... this should be easy! I fell over...several times, but gracefully. Not as easy as it looks.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Easy peasy. It’s interesting that there have already been two incorrect entries. I think I know where the two went wrong, and what they submitted.

Even more interesting is that Matt did not mention the end of Jangler’s streak on his website.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Maybe they submitted Kobe again
TMart

Post by TMart »

Quick solve on this one. PGWCC, WSJCC and MGWCC all done. Now I can get back to trying to find the last piece of BrianMac’s awesome puzzle!
edot

Post by edot »

Quick solve as well--no better feeling!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:57 pm
oldjudge wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:13 pm Done. I guess I would like to see the puzzles be a little tougher than this, even week ones. Having said that, hats off to Matt for focusing on something beautiful during this otherwise ugly time. Oh, and I was happy to see the curling clue. In my younger days I curled competitively. It’s a great sport that needs more love.
I live 2 miles away from the Utica Curling Club, which this year hosted the 135th annual Mitchell Bonspiel, and Utica also hosted the Curling World Championships in 1970. I don't play (do you "play" curling? Sounds like something that MItchell -- no relation to the Bonspeil -- on Modern Family would say), but they do have open houses where you can try it out. I bowl, I have played bocce... this should be easy! I fell over...several times, but gracefully. Not as easy as it looks.
There are two great clubs in the area, the Utica CC and the Schenectady CC. Curled in both many times, although I must admit that I remember the parties more than the curling.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:33 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:57 pm
There are two great clubs in the area, the Utica CC and the Schenectady CC. Curled in both many times, although I must admit that I remember the parties more than the curling.
oh, did they have a bar? Why yes; yes they did. I was much better at that.