#619 - "Big Game"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Dogged Puzzler

Post by Dogged Puzzler »

After a late start (working on the WSJ puzzle) I enjoyed this one very much. Really love the solution.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Beam me up, Scotty! Glad I saved this for a post-Easter treat.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I found OWL, ELK, ASS and ASP going down and each "crossing" between longer answers. Then I saw BAT, also going down and even though it wasn't connecting long answers, I thought I was done. I didn't even look for animals in the across entries. Instead I found that for each of OWL, ELK, ASS, ASP and BAT, there was exactly one three-letter across entry that had 2 out of 3 of those letters (a mechanism Matt has used in the past):

OWL - OWE
ELK - OLE
ASS - SOS
ASP - APO
BAT - ATM

I thought that was too much to be a coincidence, but it was not (!). Finally, I saw ORCA, got myself on the right track and eventually submitted the correct answer.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I never heard of this game until it came up in this puzzle... how timely:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/epg3 ... -to-ban-it
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.