#619 - "Big Game"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Man, I went down a rabbit hole for the ages on this one. Finally took the blinders off and saw the path. Beam me up!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Gosh I thought I was going to be early on this one, given that it just came out at 1:00, should have known better. BUT, I believe I have solved it and feel good about my answer. If that is the case then I got both the WSJCC and MGWCC. I'm positively giddy. :D
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Meg wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:05 pm
oldjudge wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:35 pm Beam me up. I feel like I started my day an hour late today. Meg or Heidi, please message me with the anomaly that you see. Please all have a safe and healthy weekend—Happy Easter and Passover.
No anomaly. Just an addlepated mind. Haven’t started drinking yet, so I can’t blame it on that.
Oh, you're no softhead! :)
LesY

Post by LesY »

After a couple of false starts (like FrankieHeck, I tried to turn this into a week 3+), I think I have it. Liked the unusual grid dimensions!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Beam me up, Matty
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

More of a Week 1 (maybe 1.5) or was that just me? Beam me up!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Got it pretty quickly... happy Friday from 42D's neighborhood.
laurareidsbooks

Post by laurareidsbooks »

Got it.

I was able to text a picture of 92A to my coworker who endlessly discussed its release while we were still in school. It was a great early birthday present for her to know she helped me solve a big clue to my puzzle!
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Got it!

now, to start on the WSJ one...
Joe

Post by Joe »

Done. Perfect Week 2-level. Don't overthink this one.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Ughhhhhhh, accidentally submitted the WSJ answer to the MGWCC form. Hope it doesn’t cost me my streak!
Meg

Post by Meg »

tonyrobots wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:32 pm Ughhhhhhh, accidentally submitted the WSJ answer to the MGWCC form. Hope it doesn’t cost me my streak!
If you’re talking about your MGWCC streak, you can e-mail Matt. Once I put the meta answer in the name box. How embarrassing. It took a few days, but he fixed it.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

tonyrobots wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:32 pm Ughhhhhhh, accidentally submitted the WSJ answer to the MGWCC form. Hope it doesn’t cost me my streak!
One good thing is that since Matt wrote the Wsj this week, you didn’t just spoil it for him :)
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Yes, I emailed Matt. I’m hoping he’ll take pity on me. Now I’ve done the grid and have a step 1 here, just need to tie it together....
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Got it, and Matt emailed to say all will be forgiven. Now to submit the WSJ (to the right place this time) before I forget. Happy weekend, puzzlers!
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Believe it or not, I worried that I'd done the same thing when I submitted. I checked and I hadn't, but I was worried for a moment.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Got it!! After struggling far too long and hard. I think my brain is starting to overheat, so I'll save Brian Mac's latest puzzle for tomorrow.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Color me giddy! Saw my name in the "correct" column
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:38 pm Beam me up.

Good thing I didn’t guess before seeing the puzzle as I’d have been wrong.
I guessed right!
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Got this one last night, lots of fun