#620 - "Two for Two"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:52 pm Interestingly, if you broke slightly from the pattern there might have been a third clue that could be answered by EWE:

Reversible Sheep
BA(A) Source in a Green Field

And

Judges (S)hear Them

Tense is off too, but it’s close.
Well they were clues that could be answered by EWE but apparently not anyone else. Judges "shearing" sheep, good sir that sounds ominous and makes me quite glad that our paths did not cross, or at least not where I might be up before you (oh, and don't try the "Why what time do you get up", I've seen all the old comedies too).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
TMart

Post by TMart »

“Be home with honey” was what broke it open for me. I noticed that early, but inexplicably went down a bunch of other rabbit holes before I went back to it. I got hung up too much on “In your face” as some sort of meta clue. No obvious themers and a bunch of strangely worded clues should have pointed me in the right direction sooner.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TMart wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:18 pm “Be home with honey” was what broke it open for me. I noticed that early, but inexplicably went down a bunch of other rabbit holes before I went back to it. I got hung up too much on “In your face” as some sort of meta clue. No obvious themers and a bunch of strangely worded clues should have pointed me in the right direction sooner.
Yeah, that's the one that caught my attention first - like one of those A-OO-GA horns in my face -- so thankfully, I never had to see all the great rabbit holes and herring traps others did. Even when I knew what it was going to be, I couldn't send it in until I found that other "E"... and when I saw the "B.A." clue, first I laughed, then I submitted. Still wasn't fast enough to beat Laura though...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Reading about all the rabbit holes others found, I'm feeling more lucky than smart. I was keeping an eye out for repeated bigrams, so I marked the two ho's in "Be home with honey". After not finding anything useful to do with the ones from the grid, that clue caught my eye and I remembered hive and the rest was history.

The one I was least sure of was the goo. I looked through the grid for other options and only found SAP, and thought maybe since that's basically what maple syrup is, but YOLK seemed more direct. And when I put them it grid order, it was obvious.
Meg

Post by Meg »

When in doubt on a Gaffney, circle letters in the grid.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:54 pm Reading about all the rabbit holes others found, I'm feeling more lucky than smart. I was keeping an eye out for repeated bigrams, so I marked the two ho's in "Be home with honey". After not finding anything useful to do with the ones from the grid, that clue caught my eye and I remembered hive and the rest was history.

The one I was least sure of was the goo. I looked through the grid for other options and only found SAP, and thought maybe since that's basically what maple syrup is, but YOLK seemed more direct. And when I put them it grid order, it was obvious.
I got caught with two ho's once, with the result that I got paperwork that told me I was no longer welcome to "be home with honey." (of course that's not true, but when you set it on a tee...)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:50 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:54 pm Reading about all the rabbit holes others found, I'm feeling more lucky than smart. I was keeping an eye out for repeated bigrams, so I marked the two ho's in "Be home with honey". After not finding anything useful to do with the ones from the grid, that clue caught my eye and I remembered hive and the rest was history.

I got caught with two ho's once, with the result that I got paperwork that told me I was no longer welcome to "be home with honey." (of course that's not true, but when you set it on a tee...)
And there's the reason for the multiple wedding songs.... :lol:

There are any number of puns/wordplays that one could use to follow up on your "Two ho's", but being that this is a public forum I shall refrain. Suffice it to say that your tee reference reminds me of the story of the golfer who got in trouble for playing a round.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:54 pm The one I was least sure of was the goo. I looked through the grid for other options and only found SAP, and thought maybe since that's basically what maple syrup is, but YOLK seemed more direct. And when I put them it grid order, it was obvious.
Same here. But when I'm stuck, one of the things I look for is signs of forced entries, and USYE is about as forced an entry as you can get. There were other ways to do that corner using real words, especially if you change BRUNCH to BRANCH. So I was sure that it was YOLK.
Jay