#620 - "Two for Two"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Laura M

#620 - "Two for Two"

Post by Laura M »

This week’s contest answer is a body part you’ll need to solve this meta.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Whoa my gosh, I'm number two! (Somehow that doesn't sound as good as it should...) I even beat Al!
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Holy cow, number five!!!!!!! wish I could go out to the bar and celebrate :/
Hector

Post by Hector »

Stretching that ol' streak to 4, baby.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Laura M wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 pm Whoa my gosh, I'm number two! (Somehow that doesn't sound as good as it should...) I even beat Al!
Thank you for that report, Laura... and we now return to PGWCC #56, already in progress (or lack thereof).
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m so close!!! Just can’t make it around the corner! But I will!
And I did! The last part made me laugh! Matt, you slay me!
Coming in at #16!
Last edited by Meg on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Meg wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:10 pm I’m so close!!! Just can’t make it around the corner! But I will!
And I did! The last part made me laugh! Matt, you slay me!
I'm betting we got the same last part... that's the one that made me laugh too.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:26 pm
Laura M wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 pm Whoa my gosh, I'm number two! (Somehow that doesn't sound as good as it should...) I even beat Al!
Thank you for that report, Laura... and we now return to PGWCC #56, already in progress (or lack thereof).
I have to apologize, I sounded like I was gloating and that was absolutely not my intention. I was like a minute or two earlier than Al, and that NEVER happens! I was just pleased to be in the vicinity of the masters this time. I'll try not to let it go to my head :-)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Laura M wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:30 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:26 pm
I have to apologize, I sounded like I was gloating and that was absolutely not my intention. I was like a minute or two earlier than Al, and that NEVER happens! I was just pleased to be in the vicinity of the masters this time. I'll try not to let it go to my head :-)
Are you kidding? You have every right to be proud, and no one would take it as gloating. But yeah, how 'bout us Muggles? Toughest MGWCC in a while -- 16 solvers in 2 and a half hours -- and almost half of them are Muggles, including (at least) 4 in the top 7. I really do think this forum has helped hone our skills. "honed our skills/Warped us"; po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Laura,
If I got a meta (like, say, the most recent PGW) before Al, I would have no qualms about announcing it, on this blog or from my driveway. Oh look! I guess I did! Amazing!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Meg wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:47 pm
Laura,
If I got a meta (like, say, the most recent PGW) before Al, I would have no qualms about announcing it, on this blog or from my driveway. Oh look! I guess I did! Amazing!
Don't make me come back there, you two! I'll turn this car around!!!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it! Waiting for confirmation, but I'm pretty sure. That felt like at least a week 3.5.

Update: on the board!
Last edited by damefox on Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Well, I wish I could add to the muggle contingent, but not yet... I don't even have a start. Just a few rabbits bouncing around here and there.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:39 pm [But yeah, how 'bout us Muggles? Toughest MGWCC in a while -- 16 solvers in 2 and a half hours -- and almost half of them are Muggles, including (at least) 4 in the top 7. I really do think this forum has helped hone our skills. "honed our skills/Warped us"; po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe.
I need a button to "like" this about 100 times, once won't do it :-)
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Missed the Top 20, but I'm on there, happy to join the other muggles.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Happy to see all the Muggles on the board - I’m not seeing it yet. Turning up the bourbon and hoping for post-enlightenment....
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Went down too many rabbit holes, but finally saw the AHA and have submitted my answer.
Why is it that Matt seems to take his long update breaks just after I submit? Waiting, waiting on confirmation.

Addendum....there's the confirmation.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm beaming up from a very enjoyable away mission.

Congratulations to all the speedy solvers! This is definitely a place where bragging is allowed and encouraged. It gives the rest of us the chance to celebrate with you.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I’m in awe of those who solved this quickly- you operate in a different universe than I do. I have finally submitted an answer and will probably find out if it is right tomorrow morning.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

you're good - you're on the list.

I've just subscribed and submitted my guess, we'll see if I hear anything soon
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.