#620 - "Two for Two"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Well, you can finally beam me up. Though I admit, I needed a hint to get me pointed in the general direction of the tele-porter, and even with that, I still had a battle tougher than this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eFdUSnaQM

That was really something! (the MGWCC puzzle AND the Star Trek clip)

But not to discourage those still at sea. I can now see how, with more Kirk-like discernment, I could have gotten there faster and on my own.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

GOT IT! Tricky to be sure.
laurareidsbooks

Post by laurareidsbooks »

Got it! This one was nagging at the three of us all weekend, and collectively we solved it this morning. So clever! Glad to have this one done so we can go on with the rest of our day!
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

I’m running into the same conundrum it seems like so many others have.. Lots of ideas, but nothing solid, so which road to follow? I do think I can get there, so I hope to report back with some good news!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Unabashedly, unashamedly, without a shred of dignity...came to the forum hoping someone had accidentally said too much in a comment and had given something away. I do this a lot.

I don't even have a rabbit hole to crawl down yet this week.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Thurman8er wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:00 pm Unabashedly, unashamedly, without a shred of dignity...came to the forum hoping someone had accidentally said too much in a comment and had given something away. I do this a lot.

I almost accidentally said too much:) I was writing a private message to norrin2 (the new person who Matt suggested ask here for help) and was just about to hit submit when I realized the screen didn't look right. That's because I was posting not PMing 🤦‍♀️ Quickly switched over to reply by private message then.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I’ve got the mechanism, but don’t have an answer appearing yet. I have time. Last piece is giving me fits.
Meg

Post by Meg »

ky-mike wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:49 pm I’ve got the mechanism, but don’t have an answer appearing yet. I have time. Last piece is giving me fits.
It’s probably the same part some of us had trouble with. You'll laugh, I promise.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:23 pm
Thurman8er wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:00 pm Unabashedly, unashamedly, without a shred of dignity...came to the forum hoping someone had accidentally said too much in a comment and had given something away. I do this a lot.

I almost accidentally said too much:) I was writing a private message to norrin2 (the new person who Matt suggested ask here for help) and was just about to hit submit when I realized the screen didn't look right. That's because I was posting not PMing 🤦‍♀️ Quickly switched over to reply by private message then.
At this rate, I may ask for my own hint. (But not yet...)
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

Hat in hand, I'm asking for a hint from a kind muggle. I've followed too many rabbit holes with no rabbits.
LesY

Post by LesY »

I just did the same thing - and unfortunately posted it for about 15-20 seconds! But I don’t have the answer yet, so they were probably random musings. Apologies for the lack of care - I don’t PM very often.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Well, with some encouragement from a fellow muggle, I believe that I am done and correct.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

LesY wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:39 pm

I just did the same thing - and unfortunately posted it for about 15-20 seconds! But I don’t have the answer yet, so they were probably random musings. Apologies for the lack of care - I don’t PM very often.
I don't suppose you want to wander around muttering to yourself over in the PGWCC thread, eh?
LesY

Post by LesY »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:54 pm
LesY wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:39 pm

I don't suppose you want to wander around muttering to yourself over in the PGWCC thread, eh?
LOL! Happy to give a nudge on Foreign Cinema if anyone wants. Just send me a PM.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Oh heck - finally got it with a wee nudge from a fellow partner/Muggle in crime, who graciously returned a recent favor. Muggles are some of the best people!

Look forward to comparing notes tomorrow afternoon. And bracing for next week if this was a week 3, although Matt usually eases up after an unintended doozy.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

ive been hopping in and out of three rabbit holes...but nothing.
feel so close to the mechanism but can't get it to work. if anyone is around to chat and perhaps provide a nudge i'd be most grateful.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

rexthree wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:01 pm ive been hopping in and out of three rabbit holes...but nothing.
feel so close to the mechanism but can't get it to work. if anyone is around to chat and perhaps provide a nudge i'd be most grateful.
Me, too. I still got nuttin'.
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

Tried a few different holes but to no avail. Asking again for a kind nudge in the right direction.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Definitely going a little crazy trying to figure out the path, would certainly appreciate a nudge as well.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

If I didn't have a nice streak going, I wouldn't ask. But I'm not too proud to admit that a nudge is necessary. :)