#621 - "Run the Numbers"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
burak

Post by burak »

Ashore. This was definitely fun to figure out.

If there is anyone out there who's trying to solve this in their head: Don't. As expected, there are multiple steps involved and it would be much easier if you printed the grid out and took notes etc. I mean, this is also general advice for harder metas obviously but just saying.

I would also hold on to the nudges and hints for this one as it's definitely gettable even for relative rookies. Give yourself some time. To misquote a cliche, nudges are great because they feed you instantly but learning to fish is a much better experience. At least it was for me. When I started doing the metas, I would get maybe half of them and now I'm on a 36-week streak with WSJ. All those initial unsuccessful attempts have become valuable lessons as I explored incorrect but viable routes a meta puzzle could have followed.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

i'm still plugging away. hoping for post enlightenment.
chnest

Post by chnest »

I am so close to the finish line, but don't know how to make any sense of what I have. Long time lurker, first time poster. Would love a small nudge.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Done. Enjoyed this one a lot.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Yet again, still got nothin'.

And I was doing so well last month!
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

Well, after a couple of nudges and an epic headache I think I have it. Not 100% sure but what I do have cannot be a coincidence.
chnest

Post by chnest »

Beam me up. A nudge in the right direction was all it took to get me over the finish line. Thanks :)
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hoping for post enlightenment. I have what has to be the first step. But can't figure out what to do with it.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I’m throwing in the towel. I was sure I was going to get this one after I saw the first step Friday afternoon, but it was a step to nowhere. Maybe I should submit what I “might say after [not] getting the meta!”
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Like others, I see the first step, but nothing I've tried next has worked. Not looking for a hint; sink or swim I'm sticking with solo solves on MGWCC. But perhaps the meta gods will take pity on me and send a flash of post-enlightenment my way.

An hour later: Thank you, meta gods! Will see in the morning when the board updates if I've really beamed up or my atoms are scattered all over space, but I'm reasonably confident.

Thing is, I could swear I tried this way early on and didn't see an answer, so I started digging in deeper and twistier rabbit holes.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

Very excited to see how people came up with the soliution. I ilke to think I'm at the same spot a lot of the other stumped people are. Been thinking about it (and dreaming about it) all weekend but I can't quite put it together. Really excited for week 1
camandsampowercouple

i wish i could get the hint already!!!!!
camandsampowercouple

beam me up!!!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

First step done for quite a while. Need a nudge to get to the end.

Got the nudge. Many thanks. It is always something different. Maybe some day I will see them all!
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Well, I have the first part but darned if I can figure out where to go from there.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Got it with two minutes to spare, after a last-minute nudge.

Oddly enough, I had considered this answer yesterday, but was unsatisfied with it without a confirming mechanism.

I wonder if I'll show up as the last correct entry!

It was sure a toughie.
colonelspicyxword

Post by colonelspicyxword »

Sigh, I wasnt able to get over the finish line. Now that time is up, can someone send me nudge?
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Yep -- I got last place!
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Worked up to the wire fruitlessly. Only got the "first step" and never broke through after that. Would still like to solve though and could use a nudge.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

colonelspicyxword wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:05 pm Sigh, I wasnt able to get over the finish line. Now that time is up, can someone send me nudge?
Can you share what you've seen or tried so far?

I think we can do this out in the open since the deadline has passed. Unless someone objects. (Heck, someone usually posts the solution right after the deadline...)