#624 - "Now You Sea It, Now You Don't"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

This one has me flummoxed! Wouldn't be so vexing if it was a week 4 or 5...but over 300 correct. Man talk about an off week. Still one more day to stare...
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Still planetside. This will likely consume my day tomorrow after work.
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

Apparently I'm missing whatever lightbulb moment so many others have had. Would appreciate a nudge!
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

It seems I'm joining those asking for a subtle hint. I've been down so many trails, I'm lost in the maze.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Finally solved this morning after much staring this weekend. Had a costly grid mistake that left me puzzled longer than I should have been.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Got it.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

OK. There it is! I've never had so much trouble extracting myself from a rabbit hole. And something tells me this one was on purpose.

Beam me up!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Got to the end of the trail finally and agree with the constructor on what I had with the puzzle (though I was tempted to have a several fingers of bourbon at a couple of junctures and I know THAT wasn't what he meant). I'd love to say that I got it all on my own, but I got a hint I didn't even know was a hint (a "sublimudge"?) until the very obvious clue - that I'd skipped over in my hurry to initially solve - made me go HEY, wait a minute!!! Then the scales started falling away from my eyes and I could finally Sea. So, if almost 400 people decline the prize, and I am next in line, I will take it but will have an asterisk engraved on it to indicate "Beatles assistance" (I got by with a little help from my friends).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh, and once again Mr. Gaffney, and all your META creating ninja colleagues, how in the world do you DO that. I've tried, and came up with a simple one that made my head hurt trying to get it done and included clues that one would have to be familiar with the Apocrypha to get. So how you can hide things in plain sight and make the answer come out by using words, or words that refer to words, in the answer order I cannot fathom. Forget superheros that say "I'm BATMAN"; I think it should be "I'm MATTMAN" the PACED (anagram anyone?) crusader.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I got it! Where is the inordinately-proud-of-oneself emoji?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

norrin2 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:12 pm I got it! Where is the inordinately-proud-of-oneself emoji?
Don’t know if there’s an emoji for it, but it’s a number 3 on the Kas scale

forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35

Congratulations!
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:37 pm
norrin2 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:12 pm I got it! Where is the inordinately-proud-of-oneself emoji?

Congratulations!
That is so cool. I've definitely experienced them all.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Congratulations!
This one is rapidly heading for a KAS4 for me. And I'm sure I won't want to talk about it. But there's still time for a 3, possibly a 2.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Congratulations!
Heck, there are emojis for EVERYTHING!!

KAS 2-3:
xKAS 2-3 ALT.jpg
KAS 4-5
KAS 4-5.gif
Incredibly proud of myself:
xsmug-smile.jpg
xsmug alert.jpg
ULTIMATE incredibly proud of myself
xSmug Simon sm.jpg