#626 - "Three-Quarter Time"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:48 pm Yes BUT - if they did not find the thing after moving, and looking and picking things up, did you just let hem go without the "thing" and say OK, well obviously you don't need your shoes, lunch, pants, ID card, etc. or did you say "have you looked under the bed", "where was the last place you had it", or "do you think it might be in your bookbag?". To me these are the type of hints that let me find something and teach me how to look for things in the future.
You're overestimating my parenting abilities. I would usually find their damn pants, throw them at them, and be such a grump that they would (I hoped) try harder next time. My taking a loss is my way of angrily throwing pants at myself, I guess. Everyone has their own style. ;)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:31 pm Welp, that's why I don't like to take hints. I totally earned this loss. I had a gentle breeze of the idea of looking for alternate answers, and briefly thought of ARRR, but let them just pass right through me, as I continued to start at the information right in front of me.

It used to drive me absolutely bonkers when my kids needed help finding things, because their strategy was to basically stand in a room and look around. I would lose my patience and try to explain to them "You have to MOVE around! You have to pick things up and MOVE them! Look BEHIND things and UNDER things. Your [whatever] isn't going to just walk out to you!" And here I was, staring at the same information like my kids. Shame on me. :lol:
Just our of curiosity, are your kids boys or girls? Because I hate to stereotype, but that sounds like certain men I know. "I can't find the orange juice." "Did you look _behind_ the milk?" :) In fact, in my house, this has come to be known as "guy vision" - when things are invisible if they require moving something to see them.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:01 am
FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:31 pm Welp, that's why I don't like to take hints. I totally earned this loss. I had a gentle breeze of the idea of looking for alternate answers, and briefly thought of ARRR, but let them just pass right through me, as I continued to start at the information right in front of me.

It used to drive me absolutely bonkers when my kids needed help finding things, because their strategy was to basically stand in a room and look around. I would lose my patience and try to explain to them "You have to MOVE around! You have to pick things up and MOVE them! Look BEHIND things and UNDER things. Your [whatever] isn't going to just walk out to you!" And here I was, staring at the same information like my kids. Shame on me. :lol:
Just our of curiosity, are your kids boys or girls? Because I hate to stereotype, but that sounds like certain men I know. "I can't find the orange juice." "Did you look _behind_ the milk?" :) In fact, in my house, this has come to be known as "guy vision" - when things are invisible if they require moving something to see them.
Both boys! Both incredibly smart, and both just terrible at finding things. Worst hide and seek players ever when they were little!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:05 pm
DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:48 pm Yes BUT - if they did not find the thing after moving, and looking and picking things up, did you just let hem go without the "thing" and say OK, well obviously you don't need your shoes, lunch, pants, ID card, etc. or did you say "have you looked under the bed", "where was the last place you had it", or "do you think it might be in your bookbag?". To me these are the type of hints that let me find something and teach me how to look for things in the future.
You're overestimating my parenting abilities. I would usually find their damn pants, throw them at them, and be such a grump that they would (I hoped) try harder next time. My taking a loss is my way of angrily throwing pants at myself, I guess. Everyone has their own style. ;)
Oh, I've thrown pants at myself in the past, as well as pans,,,the unfortunate consequence of liking to cook!

I find if I read the answer after all the hoopla has died down it really doesn't stick, but if someone passes judgement on a good mechanism (or warns me off a maelstrom) and even if they give a "did you look behind the milk" kind of push (that being more than a nudge) and I go on to derive the answer I remember it for another time. I guess that comes from my mentors with their constant "see one, do one, teach one" - of course they said that only after SUCCESSFUL instances.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:01 am

"MOM, Barbara is being sexist!" I actually have these conversations with my wife when she says "Where did you hide the..." (note it is ALWAYS my fault if something is missing) and I ask her "how well did you look?". Now granted when it more often than not turns up on the left side of the ketchup bottle or next to the coffee maker not the blender I will often quip, "you are looking for things like a man!" As a rejoinder she will just as often come back with, "keep it up and I'll be looking for another one of those because the one I have is bleeding!"
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

:::6:42 AM, coffee with ½&½, WSJ in hand, patiently awaiting the next installment from Frankie, Barbara, & Tom:::
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:42 am :::6:42 AM, coffee with ½&½, WSJ in hand, patiently awaiting the next installment from Frankie, Barbara, & Tom:::
Ah, coffee with half and half (as opposed to three quarters!) my favorite. I wish I could say I was enjoying my WSJ, I was a subscriber for several years and then suddenly they seemed to be unable to get it to me or to stop it when I went on vacation. After the third time I came home to a pile of papers on my driveway (despite having put in the hold order) I figured I could save money by just posting a sign that said "Not Home - Steal my Stuff" and just forego the paper.

I hit the bird back over the net, I'm just waiting for the return....I think I'll make a go at a Monday Muggle Meta in the meantime. I've done one myself but I am not sure it is of sufficient quality to post. I've asked Matt to pass judgement and/or give me some critique on how I might improve. I never realized just how amazing these guys are until I tried to do one myself - sheesh, or should I say ARRR.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

DrTom wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:57 am I wish I could say I was enjoying my WSJ, I was a subscriber for several years and then suddenly they seemed to be unable to get it to me or to stop it when I went on vacation. After the third time I came home to a pile of papers on my driveway (despite having put in the hold order) I figured I could save money by just posting a sign that said "Not Home - Steal my Stuff" and just forego the paper.
We stopped our local paper long ago for the same reason. But then, after we stopped subscribing, they continued to deliver it to us (for free, and with greater reliability than before) for a year or two, despite our attempts to correct them. We finally had to call them when we went on vacation and beg them not to deliver the paper that we didn't subscribe to while we were gone. At that point we were kind of enjoying the free news, but we never got a paper again after that vacation. :)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

FrankieHeck wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:32 pm
We stopped our local paper long ago for the same reason. But then, after we stopped subscribing, they continued to deliver it to us (for free, and with greater reliability than before) for a year or two, despite our attempts to correct them. We finally had to call them when we went on vacation and beg them not to deliver the paper that we didn't subscribe to while we were gone. At that point we were kind of enjoying the free news, but we never got a paper again after that vacation. :)
Yeah, it really is a shame. I know it isn't WSJ actually delivering the paper, and that they have to rely on local carriers, but it is also not the recipient's fault and WSJ is the only one we have recourse to. I don' t know, maybe they should pay a premium to the carrier if they take on WSJ just as impetus to do a good job or lose the assignment. I did used to like the "quick" news down the left side, but mainly (because I am not really in the stock market, don't have that much to do with business) I read the rundown and did the crosswords. Mondays always made me feel like a ROCKSTAR, and Fridays I kind of blew off until I got METAcized. I never did the META because I couldn't get them and I'd wonder "what kind of geeks do these things?" - so now I know, intelligent, attractive, kind, magnanimous, caring, successful, humble geeks just like me!

I was sad though, a daily newspaper in my hand hearkened back to what seemed a gentler time long ago. I even had a paper route once and spent a good deal of time folding, delivering, and washing newsprint ink off my hands. Nowadays a guy throws it out of the window of a moving car at 0400 (when it did get delivered). Every time I would call and complain about non-delivery I'd get the obligate "well you can access it online" which I feel is about the stupidest thing they could say. Why would I pay extra for a physical paper if I was content to read it online? Oh, well I suppose that is part of the script they have when a customer complains.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:57 am
Joe Ross wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:42 am :::6:42 AM, coffee with ½&½, WSJ in hand, patiently awaiting the next installment from Frankie, Barbara, & Tom:::
...I think I'll make a go at a Monday Muggle Meta in the meantime. I've done one myself but I am not sure it is of sufficient quality to post. I've asked Matt to pass judgement and/or give me some critique on how I might improve. I never realized just how amazing these guys are until I tried to do one myself - sheesh, or should I say ARRR.
Feel free to PM me or BrianMac regarding your meta, if you want...