#628 - "A League of Their Own"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I can’t reveal that, but I can tell you that knowing what a piano keyboard looks like is not required.
Schep

Post by Schep »

Schep wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:33 pm Is extensive sports knowledge necessary to solve? 😂

[Edit by Brian: Please only answer this by PM. Thanks!]
Whoops apologies-didn’t mean to open the door for spoilers! That was just my first thought after I read the prompt 😊
Schep

Post by Schep »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:44 pm I can’t reveal that, but I can tell you that knowing what a piano keyboard looks like is not required.
Ha-thank goodness. Although I think a piano layout stuck in my brain forever now! Maybe it’ll make for a cool bar trick one day....
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Sports and number themes always make me nervous, but beam me up! Feel better Matt!
Heidi
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved finally. After a really long afternoon. Someone thought it would be a good idea to roll into the passenger side of my car and smash it. Collision center, insurance companies.....so much fun.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Cindy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:52 pm Solved finally. After a really long afternoon. Someone thought it would be a good idea to roll into the passenger side of my car and smash it. Collision center, insurance companies.....so much fun.
Ugh. Here, have a ... whatever we're supposed to metaphor for MGWCC.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Thank goodness it wasn’t the driver’s side. This sounds like scotch time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Cindy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:52 pm Solved finally. After a really long afternoon. Someone thought it would be a good idea to roll into the passenger side of my car and smash it. Collision center, insurance companies.....so much fun.
Oh no!

I’m glad anyway that “a trip to the hospital” wasn’t also on that list.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I was away from the internet this afternoon. Have a super cheap cellphone service with very limited data since I usually just use whatever WiFi I can find when I’m not home.

So at noon, I turned on data to download the puzzle. Did the grid and planned to wait til I was back in WiFi land to google for the meta. Because — sports. But much to my surprise, I actually figured it out.

So just googled to check that what I thought I knew actually made sense and then called for beam up.
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

On the board. Some consolation after being one of the people who jumped at Three of a Kind last week and ignored the other pair.

Another extremely clever puzzle.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Hope you’re okay! Sorry that happened to you!
Heidi
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Beam me up.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Got it (fairly) quickly and I am always extremely nervous when metas get sportsy. But I always remember some meta advice I got a long time ago: These are word puzzles, not trivia contests.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Well that was dumb. I posted what I was reasonably confident was right and it was not. Had tossed the grid so refilled a new one and realized my mistake right away. Oh well it was a one weeks streak so no great loss. I will post my alternate solution on Tuesday.

Stay well all and get better Matt!!!!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

spotter wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:07 pm I was ready to go right as it posted determined to make a non-scroll ranking on this one. I filled in the long clues first, had those done in just minutes. And nothing. Filled in the rest of the grid, and nothing.
LOL, this is exactly what happened to me. Even had xwordcontest.com open and my username and email already filled out, so I just had to drop in the answer.

27 hours later, I finally figured it out.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

After a quick nudge to refocus my solving technique, I am finally on shore and in awe of the construction of this one.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

It’s fascinating to think how Matt must look at the world to notice things to come up with some of these metas.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

on the ship with both metas this weekend, plenty of time for drinking remaining
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

BTW, I don’t think it is a spoiler to say that there is a second answer if defunct teams are allowed. Make that two more.
Last edited by oldjudge on Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottydoesntknow

Post by scottydoesntknow »

Hi folks! Recent Gaffney subscriber, and I am completely stumped this week. Looking for a small nudge if anyone is willing. Thanks in advance!