#628 - "A League of Their Own"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Beam me up
damefox

Post by damefox »

Joe wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:01 am These are word puzzles, not trivia contests.
Most of the time, but I think "how many keys does a piano have?" is pretty clearly a trivia question. There was also a puzzle a while back (which many people rated quite poorly on Crossword Fiend) where the answer was "Miller's Crossing," and basically you had to know every semi-famous person of the last half century with the last name Miller.
Joe

Post by Joe »

damefox wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:07 pm
Joe wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:01 am These are word puzzles, not trivia contests.
Most of the time, but I think "how many keys does a piano have?" is pretty clearly a trivia question. There was also a puzzle a while back (which many people rated quite poorly on Crossword Fiend) where the answer was "Miller's Crossing," and basically you had to know every semi-famous person of the last half century with the last name Miller.
Yeah, I missed both of those, in fact. But I think there is always (YMMV) a clue to get you on the right track. There was a meta a while back (that I missed and am still sore about) where you had to know players' jersey numbers. But even then, it was a quick Google search if you sussed the clue. My only point is that you don't need a ton of outside knowledge to get where you need to go. And those later month Gaffneys are brutal sometimes, but that's part of the game! :D
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

OMG. I am by no means a football fan but that was an amazing meta. Beam me up. I am beaming.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

oldjudge wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:17 pm BTW, I don’t think it is a spoiler to say that there is a second answer if defunct teams are allowed. Make that two more.
I can only find one.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

norrin2 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:42 pm
oldjudge wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:17 pm BTW, I don’t think it is a spoiler to say that there is a second answer if defunct teams are allowed. Make that two more.
I can only find one.
Never mind. I see the second one now. Wow.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bum me down.

MGWCC628.gif
burak

Post by burak »

I'm absolutely stumped. Going down rabbit holes until I see the light can be a fun journey, but it's frustrating when I can't find a single rabbit hole to go down in. That this is a Week 2 confuses me even more, there is probably one clue, one hint, something that's SO obvious yet I'm missing it.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

burak wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:25 am I'm absolutely stumped. Going down rabbit holes until I see the light can be a fun journey, but it's frustrating when I can't find a single rabbit hole to go down in. That this is a Week 2 confuses me even more, there is probably one clue, one hint, something that's SO obvious yet I'm missing it.
Sorry to hear. This is my most-every-week experience...
spotter

Post by spotter »

OK I'm finally there! Will have to wait for the board update, but I'm pretty confident. So much for top 12!
LesY

Post by LesY »

It was fun searching for these!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

LesY wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:27 pm
It was fun searching for these!
I have a third one. It's arguable, but unlike the other two, I have actually heard it with my own ears.
Jay
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Very busy weekend and spent far too long trying to solve the WSJ...which I was never going to solve. Only left myself today to work this one out and I'm nowhere yet. Only posting because I get the meta right after I say I don't have it about 50% of the time.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Just before going to bed...beam me up!!
KayW

Post by KayW »

burak wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:25 am I'm absolutely stumped. Going down rabbit holes until I see the light can be a fun journey, but it's frustrating when I can't find a single rabbit hole to go down in. That this is a Week 2 confuses me even more, there is probably one clue, one hint, something that's SO obvious yet I'm missing it.
I'm right there with you, burak. The only difference is, I do see all kinds of rabbit hole possibilities but they are all probably WAY too convoluted for a week 2. And none of them have led me anywhere except to the brink of madness. (Not a far trip, some "friends" tell me.)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

And BOOM! Post-enlightenment strikes. More like a two by four over the head wielded by a friend.

Beam me up.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:44 am
I'm right there with you, burak. The only difference is, I do see all kinds of rabbit hole possibilities but they are all probably WAY too convoluted for a week 2. And none of them have led me anywhere except to the brink of madness. (Not a far trip, some "friends" tell me.)
Appears I am in good company, nothing clicked ever on this one. I am SO hoping it is not one of those OH MY GOD it was there all the time! Oh, and as for being driven insane, my friends are also complimentary and suggest that could be done with 25 cents worth of gas....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:29 am And BOOM! Post-enlightenment strikes. More like a two by four over the head wielded by a friend.

Beam me up.
Oh, GREAT, now I'll have to make the drive alone!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The really amazing thing is that in each league, there is only one currently active team that has the league initials in order. The other really amazing thing is that Matt noticed this.

I am given to understand that some solvers went scrounging in the historical scrap pile of leather helmets and work boots and pulled out the likes of Muncie and Frankford. I’m not sure that these were real cities let alone real teams.

But I actually am old enough to remember hearing announcers refer to “The New York FootbaLl Giants” to distinguish the Connerly-Gifford gang from the team that fielded Sal (the Barber) Maglie and Willie Mays.
Jay
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

It is quite an observation, unfortunately not one I made. I'd have to say that of all Matt's puzzles so far this was probably my least favorite; not because I missed it, I do that a lot, but because the usual 'elegance' was not there. The letters came from different parts of the names and were easily dismissed. But obviously REAL solvers didn't get led astray so , as the old saying goes, "it's not you its me".

Whiffed on both WSJCC and MGWCC - hooray, a brand new streak to start, and with a week 3 coming up. Might be a short streak...

OK, I'm going back to work and do something I CAN do, I've been paying far too little attention to patient care...my excuse, I had a META on life support and I was trying my darnedest to save it, unfortunately it finally had to be sent to some kids in China (I hate it when youth in Asia is the only option).