#630 - "A Number of Creatures"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

Hi Al, I’m wondering how to find out what number you are in the WSJ results. I’ve never seen a leaderboard. I always email my answer and it just goes into the void. Thank you!
[/quote]

I just went to our illustrious Cruise Director's Saturday status post and counted down... and down... and down... until I saw my name/nom. So yeah, thanks for the reminder: Although I was 125th in the list of correct *Muggle* solvers, I was probably well into four digits in the list of all WSJ solvers.
[/quote]

Ohhhh...I thought there might be a WSJ leaderboard I’d never heard about. Shoot!
stmv

Post by stmv »

The grid was tough for me, particularly the SE. I'm embarrassed to admit that my impatience got the better of me and I Googled to get one of the answers there to get myself unstuck.

After some hours of cogitation I managed to solve the meta, and just saw myself on the leaderboard, yay.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Submitted with about 85% certainty. Fingers crossed!

Edit: indeed, nailed it!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

On the Board with a little help.

I do have a couple of comments for post-deadline concerning the answer.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Yay my first week 4!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Head spinning with creatures too numerous to pin down and at least one is a rabbit. I have to put this down and hope tomorrow with a clear brain I can see the light. Got the WSJ but this one is proving hard to pin down.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Leave a night light on. You may see creatures in your sleep. I may need that extra day to figure it out. Right now I am in a menagerie with Captain Pike.
markhr

Post by markhr »

I was maybe 85 percent confident with my answer, but made it on the board. Interesting yet odd puzzle.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Meg

Post by Meg »

dudeski wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:52 pm Leave a night light on. You may see creatures in your sleep. I may need that extra day to figure it out. Right now I am in a menagerie with Captain Pike.
Perhaps the green Orion girl can help. Keep looking. You’ll find the answer. Then the skin over your skull will pulse with joy!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Was referring to the dreaded PAGEANT sorry 69D
wjchatto

Post by wjchatto »

I hope the answer is as clear as the gist.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I concur that this one seemed too easy, so I slept on it before submitting. As usual, I just missed a leaderboard update, so it will be a while before I find out if it was all just an illusion created by the Talosians.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

grid not that bad, seeing creatures EVERYWHERE, no clear path to my eye (yet).
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

My only idea isn't leading anywhere, not sure I'll get this one. At least I don't have a streak to keep up!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I have a streak of either 1 or two, so not concerned about streaking for another week.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

I’ll agree with others here that sometimes you just see the mechanism and sometimes not. However, since I rarely get a week #4, I’ll say that Matt let up a bit for this one. Let’s see what he says come Wednesday. He was definitely very apologetic for last week’s vitamin-laced puzzle. Maybe he made amends.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Unless I happened upon an incredible coincidence, I think I have figured it out. Not ready to hit the send button yet.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I may be in the same spot as some of you, having found the first step for sure, but having only an answer that lacks a definite click.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I think I have it. Lots of red herrings in this one.

On the board!
Last edited by hcbirker on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi