#630 - "A Number of Creatures"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Okay. Maybe this one is just not in my wheelhouse. I’m not doing very well on finding the creatures—not even 25%. If someone would send me a gentle nudge, I would appreciate it.

Edit—Thanks to helpful nudges, I should be on the board with the next update.
Last edited by Jeremy Smith on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KayW

Post by KayW »

FYI it looks like Matt opened up submissions again and some solvers have posted post-original-deadline. I imagine Matt will reply to or update anyone who emailed answers - but I hope any who emailed will check the leaderboard to make sure they get posted.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Standing on the transporter coordinates...communicator out...staring at the puzzle as the Gorn approaches...
Meg

Post by Meg »

Thurman8er wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:45 pm Standing on the transporter coordinates...communicator out...staring at the puzzle as the Gorn approaches...
Well c'mon!! Make some gunpowder! Then the meta will flow down upon you like the voice of Uhura singing.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

Even after a couple of generous nudges I am not going to be able to pull this out. As far as failures go, I'd rather fail at a WSJ meta. At least that way I can drown my sorrows on a nice boat with Isaac. But with MGWCC I can't beam up, so that means I'm stuck on some desolate planet with potentially hostile aliens and -- even worse -- no beer.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Beam. Me. Up!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

norrin2 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:06 pm Even after a couple of generous nudges I am not going to be able to pull this out. As far as failures go, I'd rather fail at a WSJ meta. At least that way I can drown my sorrows on a nice boat with Isaac. But with MGWCC I can't beam up, so that means I'm stuck on some desolate planet with potentially hostile aliens and -- even worse -- no beer.
I realize that it's mixing universes, but maybe we could be stuck in the Mos Eisley Cantina from Star Wars? That would be exciting (though potentially dangerous)!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

burak wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:58 pm OK, this is either a Week 2 disguised as a Week 4, or there's a very elaborate mechanism that I'm missing out on. But the answer came to me like within 3 minutes of finishing the grid and that can't be right.

Otoh, I missed the Week 2 puzzle this month so what do I know?
I got nothing, and the deadline is.... NOW.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

In 75A, Matt defines that there are 80 creatures, :. the creatures must be every grid answer. Every creature has one "i" (eye) in it, :. every creature is CYCLOPS, which we've never seen, as its fictional.

20200627 MGWCC630 JR.gif
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

My only issue with the meta was that I didn't feel that anything pointed specifically to cyclops as the correct answer. I asked Matt whether or not anything specifically pointed to CYCLOPS as there are other fictional creatures with just one eye (cyclops is the most well-known). His response was that stating that the creature name started with a "c" would have been clunky, but he would have accepted any one-eyed creature as a correct answer.
Meg

Post by Meg »

ky-mike wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:31 pm My only issue with the meta was that I didn't feel that anything pointed specifically to cyclops as the correct answer. I asked Matt whether or not anything specifically pointed to CYCLOPS as there are other fictional creatures with just one eye (cyclops is the most well-known). His response was that stating that the creature name started with a "c" would have been clunky, but he would have accepted any one-eyed creature as a correct answer.
I’m glad you asked and I’m glad he answered that way. Not that I submitted something else. I just think one should ask.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I included a comment with my submission that I was very tempted to submit "One eyed one horned flying purple people eater". If I had noticed then that that also has exactly one I, I might not have been able to resist.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Matt also said that he’ll tell us on Friday the “story” as to why he delayed the puzzle.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

ky-mike wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:31 pm My only issue with the meta was that I didn't feel that anything pointed specifically to cyclops as the correct answer. I asked Matt whether or not anything specifically pointed to CYCLOPS as there are other fictional creatures with just one eye (cyclops is the most well-known). His response was that stating that the creature name started with a "c" would have been clunky, but he would have accepted any one-eyed creature as a correct answer.
I much prefer metas which literally spell out their answer in the grid (or clues+grid) rather than having to rely on outside knowledge.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

I sat on this answer for two or three days, and haven't been so unsure of an answer in a long time... He probably thought I was a DDOS attack while I waited for the board to refresh. It was probably because I noticed the one I per answer thing pretty quickly, but I couldn't help but think the word "creature" was more significant than it seemed on the surface. I definitely felt reassured after seeing a lot of uncertainty on here, though.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

In my answer, I pointed out that I have, in fact, seen numerous Cyclops.

Many, many Polyphemus, too.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:01 pm I included a comment with my submission that I was very tempted to submit "One eyed one horned flying purple people eater". If I had noticed then that that also has exactly one I, I might not have been able to resist.
Not two days ago, my granddaughter was in my pool and hinted that she had to go to the bathroom, then said that she didn't. I told her if she peed in the pool, everyone would know it because I put in dye that would turn purple (her favorite color) if pee was present... I said "You don't want that, right? You don't want to be known as a 'purple pee polluter,' do you?" I thought it was brilliant -- I mean, seriously; I only realized what I said after it came out -- but she (and her mother) looked at me like I had 80 eyes.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Hi all, I will need to do the week 1 on my phone tomorrow. I always use pencil and paper. Can anyone tell me best app to use for this? Thanks so much!

Stay well
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Streroto wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:35 pm Hi all, I will need to do the week 1 on my phone tomorrow. I always use pencil and paper. Can anyone tell me best app to use for this? Thanks so much!

Stay well
I use Puzzazz. Don't know that it's the best; I didn't do much research, just picked one. But it's free and it works fine - especially for a week 1.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Thx so much