#633 - "Harmonize"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Lookout Bear

Post by Lookout Bear »

Lookout Bear wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:08 pm Got it! Not my favorite, especially compared to the awesome WSJCC this week, but Matt sets the bar really high.

Happy to help people out of rabbit holes - lemme know if you want to run any ideas by me.
Okay, just realized (with help from another solver) something about the puzzle that makes me enjoy, appreciate, and understand it so much more and take back my criticism.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well drinking didnt work, and a nasal reaming didn't work, so now I've decided to reward myself with the Escape the Grid pack of I can solve this thing today. It's likely not going to work, because deep down I know I'm going to buy it anyway. I'm on Team "WSJ was Easier" this week.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

After some time away, and yes, a few drinks last night, I'm going to sit and stare at this one again for a spell and hope for a bolt of lightning. We'll see.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

After a slight nudge, I believe that I have the correct answer. The obvious path was staring at me the whole time. I saw it early on, but didn't follow through. Glad to have this one behind me.
Joe

Post by Joe »

After the gentlest of nudges, I solved the damn thing!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it, with help (thanks Joe and ky-mike!). That was 62A. Week 3 never seems to be on my wavelength.
streakchaser

Post by streakchaser »

Totally stumped. Think I see something, but it's probably just a rabbit hole for me to fall down. Will take the day to keep staring and hope for a moment of harmony.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

I've been disabused of a wrong direction by a kind muggle, but now I'm back at square one. My printout is completely covered with inane scrawlings and incomprehensible runes, so I suppose I'll re-print and start fresh, quite aware of the ticking clock. Wish me luck!
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

i needed a big hint, but i see it now. don't think i can justify submitting it though. at this point i'm just glad to put this one to bed :)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:02 pm Well drinking didnt work, and a nasal reaming didn't work, so now I've decided to reward myself with the Escape the Grid pack of I can solve this thing today. It's likely not going to work, because deep down I know I'm going to buy it anyway. I'm on Team "WSJ was Easier" this week.
I don't want to ask. I really really don't wan to ask.

But I must ask...

"nasal reaming"?
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Dplass wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:47 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:02 pm Well drinking didnt work, and a nasal reaming didn't work, so now I've decided to reward myself with the Escape the Grid pack of I can solve this thing today. It's likely not going to work, because deep down I know I'm going to buy it anyway. I'm on Team "WSJ was Easier" this week.

But I must ask...

"nasal reaming"?
LOL I got a Covid test this weekend. No symptoms or concerns, but our state has been offering a lot of free testing, and my life is quite dull. Let's just say the woman was very thorough. I should have driven away as soon as I heard "15 seconds in each nostril."
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

🙊
Last edited by Joe Ross on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Still upset that I solved the WSJ at 11:30 last night, thinking the deadline was midnight PST!!! I never should have watched that Tom Hanks movie when I had real work to do!

Anyhoo, beam me up.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

FrankieHeck wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:50 pm
Dplass wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:47 pm

But I must ask...

"nasal reaming"?
LOL I got a Covid test this weekend. No symptoms or concerns, but our state has been offering a lot of free testing, and my life is quite dull. Let's just say the woman was very thorough. I should have driven away as soon as I heard "15 seconds in each nostril."
As someone "lucky" enough to need a monthly rhinoscopy, the COVID test really doesn't scare me too much.

TMI?
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Thurman8er wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:37 pm

As someone "lucky" enough to need a monthly rhinoscopy, the COVID test really doesn't scare me too much.

TMI?
Oh my, you have my deepest respect.

Now let's hope this conversation doesn't go downhill quickly.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I found it very hard to stop thinking about the kind of solution I wanted (which would have been much more in tune with the title). Finally,
I got by with a little help from my niece, who confirmed that mine was the wrong path.
Jay
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

FrankieHeck wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:42 pm
Thurman8er wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:37 pm

TMI?
Oh my, you have my deepest respect.

Now let's hope this conversation doesn't go downhill quickly.
Well, it's certainly nothing to sniff at.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

So far I’ve found two great red herrings but no sign of a rabbit. I also have an idea what I’d like the answer to be, and I’m trying to not get stuck forcing that to work.

Just printed a nice fresh copy so I can go back to square one 😉

And hoping the post enlightenment fairies will once again grace me with their presence.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I submitted something that I can only partially justify, but I think it has a good chance of being the right answer... It's a 5-letter musical instrument, anyway! If I'm right, I was overcomplicating things somewhat but the rabbit was still hiding really well.

Update: Woohoo I'm on the board! Still looking forward to the solution to see what I missed.
Last edited by Laura M on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Got a late start yesterday but finished the grid. I think I've been in the same rabbit holes mentioned here but no rabbit sightings on my end either.