#637 - "Grid . . . of . . . Fortune!"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I believe I made an error - three updates and no DrTom in sight. I know what I did but I thought there would be leniency.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Tom-you are listed in the “overall” column but not this week’s column so it looks like Matt gave it a thumbs down.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

DrTom wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:33 pm I believe I made an error - three updates and no DrTom in sight. I know what I did but I thought there would be leniency.
If you mis-typed the answer, let Matt know and he may have mercy on you.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:38 pm Tom-you are listed in the “overall” column but not this week’s column so it looks like Matt gave it a thumbs down.
Well, I'd be surprised if what I sent was not close enough to be the answer even if it was not verbatim, so I guess I am just wrong.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Done and done. Took longer than it should have, considering how long I stared at it.
burak

Post by burak »

I had a couple of ideas from the get go, and the idea that worked was the last idea I had which made me spend more time than I expected on this one. Great execution though.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

embarrassed that I thought about <path X>, rejected it.

my wife suggested <path X>, I rejected it.

and this morning, slapped my head, used <path X> and found the answer I expected to find. Submitted, hoping for confirmation that I didn't format it wrong (looking at you, DrTom).

EDIT: I'm on the beach, toes in the sand, NOT drinking anisette.
Last edited by MajordomoTom on Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Beam me up! Really fun!!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

solved. i enjoyed this one too.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Done been beamed. Jim Beamed, tonight.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:37 pm Well, maybe a giant radioactive 1D would qualify for that description. If there has ever been one in a cheap sci-fi movie, this guy has probably shown it: https://svengoolie.com/

Beam me up!

Got a late start on this one, so it made for a pleasant accompaniment to a quiet, rainy Happy Hour in these parts.
BERRRRRWWWYYYYYNNNNN!

(apologies to those who did not grow up watching Chicago TV.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 am embarrassed that I thought about <path X>, rejected it.

and this morning, slapped my head, used <path X> and found the answer I expected to find. Submitted, hoping for confirmation that I didn't format it wrong (looking at you, DrTom).

Oh, I didn't format it wrong, I formulated it wrong. It's official I am a doofus because this one is actually (1) quite solvable (2) quite elegant and I deserved to land on the BANKRUPT wedge. Not my first wedgie....

Now as Cher says, "If I could turn back TI IME"
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

Beam me up.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

DrTom wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:08 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 am embarrassed that I thought about <path X>, rejected it.

Oh, I didn't format it wrong, I formulated it wrong. It's official I am a doofus because this one is actually (1) quite solvable (2) quite elegant and I deserved to land on the BANKRUPT wedge. Not my first wedgie....

Now as Cher says, "If I could turn back TI IME"
the phrase sadly isn't FREE TURN
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.