#638 - "Treasure Hunt"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Completely LAS. I too see a few things and that’s where it ends. Not desperate enough for a nudge. Yet.

Stay well all
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Streroto wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:41 pm Completely LAS. I too see a few things and that’s where it ends. Not desperate enough for a nudge. Yet.

Stay well all
Same boat for me. Not going to find any treasure in the next couple of hours unless it is hidden at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and clearly seen from my couch.

Glad to have until noon Tuesday for this one.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

This really has the feel of one of those I'm not going to get. I've looked at it for a long time with no clear direction. Might need the assistance of a different captain I know named Morgan to help me.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

You’re not starting off the day with the right breakfast. Try some Captain Morgan in your Cap’n Crunch.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Pretty sure I have it. Lots of refreshing the page until i am certain.

edit YAY!!
Last edited by Orsys on Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm still stranded on some planet or other, wearing my red shirt, out of transporter range...
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Schep, sorry, but for some reason my PM to you is stuck in my outbox...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Andrew Bradburn wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:25 pm Schep, sorry, but for some reason my PM to you is stuck in my outbox...
PMs always stay in your outbox until the recipient reads them. It’s a quirk of the forum software.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Safely on shore with a cup of grog. Whew. That one played like a week 4 to me.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Also stuck on planet. Would appreciate a nudge from a kind stranger (or friend).
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one digging dry holes in search of treasure. Like many of the comments, I see things that I cannot believe are coincidence. However, that said, I have been in that same position before and it turned out to be coincidence, or maybe planned detours. Unfortunately I won't ave much time to try to solve since I am working tomorrow and Tuesday and they get real picky if I am paying more attention to a crossword puzzle than patients - spoilsports! It also keeps me from trying Oldjudge's breakfast suggestions for Captain's Squared, another no-no from the propriety police, SHEESH!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

DrTom wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:16 pm Well, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one digging dry holes in search of treasure. Like many of the comments, I see things that I cannot believe are coincidence. However, that said, I have been in that same position before and it turned out to be coincidence, or maybe planned detours. Unfortunately I won't ave much time to try to solve since I am working tomorrow and Tuesday and they get real picky if I am paying more attention to a crossword puzzle than patients - spoilsports! It also keeps me from trying Oldjudge's breakfast suggestions for Captain's Squared, another no-no from the propriety police, SHEESH!
Thankfully I am on vacation. But they get real Picky if I don’t count their money correctly Because I am doing puzzles. Life is tough.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

This is a week 4 and I am lost in space. Throwing in the towel (or Tribble).
Heidi
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I'm not yet ready to throw in the towel, but I would accept a nudge or someone who I could bounce ideas off of. Seeing lots of things that can't be coincidental, but cannot pull them together.
ellgee

Post by ellgee »

i am also here, hat in hand, hoping for a nudge. i've been working on something that seems way too deliberate to be coincidental, but so far it's not yielding much more than gibberish. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Update: submitted thanks to a helpful nudge from Cindy!
Last edited by ellgee on Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Stuck on the planet and - just my luck - I'm wearing a red shirt today. After having whiffed on the WSJ this week, would really like to find this treasure. Have a slight clue, but nothing terribly meaty. Will continue staring for a bit.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Dplass wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:12 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:37 pm I see things that seem like they could not be accidental. I have an idea, quite possibly wrong, as to the general strategy used to construct the puzzle. But none of that has proven useful so far.
Same here.
Me three! I feel like I have so many good leads but can't get to the meta solution.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

142 solvers so far. With all that the year 2020 has thrown before us, who could have guessed that there would not be a third Friday in August.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I'm stumped. I was away all weekend without a printer or Across Lite so only looking at it today for the first time. My only idea of what to look for is fruitless so far.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Finally on shore after a couple of soft nudges.