#639 - "Can You Find a Better Example?"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Beamup requested; awaiting leaderboard update.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Submitted and confident. Agree that Gaffney eased up on the week 4 given last weeks mind scrambler.
Awaiting update🥃🥃
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Hector wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:12 pm I DNF not infrequently, and on those occasions feel like I get much more out of the experience than when I luck into the early insight.
Same.

Well, and also I lose my entire weekend. Details.

(The first step is admitting you have a problem...)
Hector

Post by Hector »

Forum software needs multple thumbs up.. ^^^
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I had to check to make sure the calendar hadn't flipped over. I never got last week's, though I thought it was excellent, but this one came very easy.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Laura, I just knew those three X’s were important (or maybe islet was the key or something else). Scouring the clues lead me to the clue about three III’s being Iotas. OK now we’re talkin’. Greek letters in groups of three. I couldn’t figure out what to do with them , or even what Greek letters they represented, so as the deadline approached I sent in 2K as my long shot guess (only one K in the grid). To my shock my name appeared on the leaderboard.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Solved! BUT I think I may have submitted my answer incorrectly.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

lbray53 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:19 am Solved! BUT I think I may have submitted my answer incorrectly.
Send Matt an email at crosswordcontest@gmail.com and explain what you did. He may fix it for you.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Nothing yesterday. Got up this morning, made my coffee, and looked at it again. Got it in five minutes. Love when that happens!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Went to sleep last night thinking I knew exactly how to solve it. But it didn’t work this morning.

I get the feeling Matt has been listening in on my phone conversations. ;)
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:57 am
lbray53 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:19 am Solved! BUT I think I may have submitted my answer incorrectly.
Send Matt an email at crosswordcontest@gmail.com and explain what you did. He may fix it for you.
I did send Matt an email. Right after I sent it, the page refreshed showing the updated leader board and I was on it. Apparently I did it correctly but got nervous because I submitted later than I thought last night. My name was not on the leader board this morning. It turns out I submitted after the last update last night. I need to be more confident in my answers and more patient on knowing results.

Sorry about bothering you Matt! Great puzzle by the way.

:oops:
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Joe wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:39 am Nothing yesterday. Got up this morning, made my coffee, and looked at it again. Got it in five minutes. Love when that happens!
That never happens to me... what kind of coffee do you have?
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

There's a way I *want* this to work, but it just isn't working that way. I'm confident I'll get it, it's just a matter of how much weekend it will chew up.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

tonyrobots wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:55 pm There's a way I *want* this to work, but it just isn't working that way. I'm confident I'll get it, it's just a matter of how much weekend it will chew up.
My first assumption about what I should do turned out to be totally wrong.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Joe wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:39 am Nothing yesterday. Got up this morning, made my coffee, and looked at it again. Got it in five minutes. Love when that happens!
Same here. Solved today. It’s amazing what I can see after I put the grid down for a while. Some researcher must have an explanation.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Ugh, I think I'm getting worse at these. Nothing, nothing, and more nothing. Maybe I should just stick to the WSJ.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:49 pm Laura, I just knew those three X’s were important (or maybe islet was the key or something else). Scouring the clues lead me to the clue about three III’s being Iotas. OK now we’re talkin’. Greek letters in groups of three. I couldn’t figure out what to do with them , or even what Greek letters they represented, so as the deadline approached I sent in 2K as my long shot guess (only one K in the grid). To my shock my name appeared on the leaderboard.
Sorry, I'm... confused... 2K was accepted as a correct answer?

(I also was sure that the III clue meant something!)
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Mr Scott please locate my coordinates...awaiting update for beam up however. I am pretty sure I have the answer and no idea how to get there.

To be continued...

Update. Beam me up!!! Backsolve time.

Stay well all
Last edited by Streroto on Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Going nowhere on this one. Must be overthinking or under thinking this.
Heidi
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

damefox wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:09 pm Ugh, I think I'm getting worse at these. Nothing, nothing, and more nothing. Maybe I should just stick to the WSJ.
I feel that way most weeks...maybe I should just stick to regular crosswords...