#56 - "Foreign Cinema"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:47 pm
ky-mike wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:24 pm Submitted an answer (pretty sure that it is correct). However, I submitted it to MGWCC first in error. Hopefully, Matt will allow me to submit my actual guess for his puzzle (once I get it) without penalty. Too many puzzles to keep track of at one time.
Matt's always been good about that kind of stuff....
Yeah. I realized right away and emailed him. He responded and will accept an answer attempt for his puzzle should I come up with one.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Does Matt award prizes for his? Not that I really care, I was just curious about what the penalty would be for submitting the wrong answer.

I've never done the MGWCC - but someone PM'd me that its probably more up my alley than this one so I thought I might give it a look especially since Matt has been so nice to me.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

TPS wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:09 pm Does Matt award prizes for his? Not that I really care, I was just curious about what the penalty would be for submitting the wrong answer.

I've never done the MGWCC - but someone PM'd me that its probably more up my alley than this one so I thought I might give it a look especially since Matt has been so nice to me.
Matt’s puzzles are pay to play. He gives out token gifts based on subscription level. He does have a leaderboard for bragging rights. He used to give out weekly and monthly awards to those who properly solved the meta, but no longer does those since the move to Patreon for puzzle distribution. Also, unlike PGW, only one guess per puzzle.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Julius Caesar would have been a better answer - since many of the clues in the grid pointed to that film/person. French Kiss was 39th in the box office in 1995 behind such other household names as Nobody's Fool, Man of the House, and Nine Months. I'd say maybe it has a cult following but I'm not sure what cult that would be - maybe fans of Meg Ryan films? As, a meta answer to having the clue being "the answer is a running back" and that answer being "Napoleon Kaufman."
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I would have never gotten this one. For those of you saying "easy" or "straightforward", think before you post.
burak

Post by burak »

Google messed me up with this one. When I googled Danish for pastry, it showed me another result (I don't remember what exactly but it wasn't bagvaerk, however it seems like that's the only result in its database so I don't know what happened there). Religion in Zulu language also didn't reveal any results so I gave up on that rabbit hole. I should have properly visited translate.google.com and not just rely on the search results. Oh well, you live and learn.
Last edited by burak on Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boharr

Post by boharr »

burak wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:24 pm Google messed me up with this one. When I googled Danish for pastry, it showed me another result (I don't remember what exactly but it was bagvaerk but that's the only result in its database so I don't know what happened there). Religion in Zulu language also didn't reveal any results so I gave up on that rabbit hole. I should have properly visited translate.google.com and not just rely on the search results. Oh well, you live and learn.
Yup. I believe Google Translate was needed. It popped the answers right out for me.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

burak wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:24 pm Google messed me up with this one. When I googled Danish for pastry, it showed me another result (I don't remember what exactly but it wasn't bagvaerk, however it seems like that's the only result in its database so I don't know what happened there). Religion in Zulu language also didn't reveal any results so I gave up on that rabbit hole. I should have properly visited translate.google.com and not just rely on the search results. Oh well, you live and learn.
I did the same thing, got Gebakt or something, and when I couldn't find a foreign word GAISER I gave up on that mechanism unfortunately
burak

Post by burak »

Hey that means I'm not alone and/or imagining search results! That's a win :)
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Dplass wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:48 pm I would have never gotten this one. For those of you saying "easy" or "straightforward", think before you post.
I spent three days trying to Google movie titles that contained "Danish" or "Pastry" and things like that, and finally it occurred to me to be literal. How *do* you say "pastry" in Danish?

My comment was intended only to tell anyone who had gotten into a maze of twisty-turny passages (like I had) that the solution was probably more direct than they thought. I certainly didn't mean that it was easy for me, or that it should be easy for anyone!

Honestly this wasn't my favorite puzzle, since it relied on a specific translation of each of the words. If I hadn't used Google Translate, I probably wouldn't have gotten the answer. Unfortunately there was no way to generally warn people about this without spoilers...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Laura M wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:01 pm
Dplass wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:48 pm I would have never gotten this one. For those of you saying "easy" or "straightforward", think before you post.
I spent three days trying to Google movie titles that contained "Danish" or "Pastry" and things like that, and finally it occurred to me to be literal. How *do* you say "pastry" in Danish?

My comment was intended only to tell anyone who had gotten into a maze of twisty-turny passages (like I had) that the solution was probably more direct than they thought. I certainly didn't mean that it was easy for me, or that it should be easy for anyone!

Honestly this wasn't my favorite puzzle, since it relied on a specific translation of each of the words. If I hadn't used Google Translate, I probably wouldn't have gotten the answer. Unfortunately there was no way to generally warn people about this without spoilers...
That's the third time I've heard Google Translate being mentioned, which I never heard of. I did all the translations and got all but Zulu for Religion.