Doing the puzzle on my phone

This is a place to learn about the Muggles community and some of the terminology we use. It also contains suggested strategies for solving meta crosswords, as well as a repository of all past WSJ crossword contests and solutions.
Inca

Doing the puzzle on my phone

Post by Inca »

I've seen some posts indicating that someone did the puzzle on their phone. I only have access to my phone (android) now but can't figure out how it is possible. Any ideas?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Inca wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:16 am I've seen some posts indicating that someone did the puzzle on their phone. I only have access to my phone (android) now but can't figure out how it is possible. Any ideas?
Which puzzles?

The WSJCC's puzzles' online forms open within every phone's browser(s).

PUZ files can be solved using the alphacross app.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:25 am
Inca wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:16 am I've seen some posts indicating that someone did the puzzle on their phone. I only have access to my phone (android) now but can't figure out how it is possible. Any ideas?
Which puzzles?

The WSJCC's puzzles' online forms open within every phone's browser(s).

PUZ files can be solved using the alphacross app.
I was able to open the wsjcc but must have mistakenly done something wrong before. I am not sure what it was. Maybe something was "selected" and I didn't realize. Anyway, now I am able to enter answers into the grid where before I could not. But it is really difficult to do the puzzle this way even now that I can technically do it. Besides only being able to see one clue at a time, the keyboard doesn't all fit on the screen together with the puzzle. If I manage to fill the grid, I'll feel like celebrating. I can't imagine doing a meta this way where I can't see the full picture. Hmmm
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I have an iPhone, so this may not apply exactly, but I assume it's similar.

When you open the WSJ puzzle page on your phone, there should be a button near the top labeled "Play in new window". If you click that, at least the full keyboard will fit. If that button is not there, clicking the text size selection icon over the puzzle should have (or at least offer) the same effect of getting just the puzzle in a new window all by itself.

That doesn't help with the only one clue at a time thing, and it may or may not help, depending on the size of your phone, with the only part of the puzzle visible thing.

So the better way, IMHO, is to download a .puz file to your phone and solve with a dedicated crossword app.

You can find links to the puzzles here:
https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/23-wsj.html (Next year, just change 23 to 24)

And Joe's post above has a recommended Android app for solving.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)