MEOW #94 Split the Bill

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Our original idea was far more ambitious. If we start with the birds

PAR ROT
CAN ARY
TOU CAN
CON DOR
LIN NET
MAG PIE
MAR TIN
ORI OLE

You can almost rearrange the halves to get real entries:

MAGNET
CANCAN
LINDOR
PAROLE
PIE TIN
ROTARY
MARCON (a French commune)

But we were left with the pesky TOU and ORI that we couldn't get past
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
ReB

Post by ReB »

Got to the split birds stage, but just didn't manage to identify the synonyms even with the nudges. Sometime you just stay blind (Oh wait, that was mice..., and only three of them.)
rjy

Post by rjy »

BTW, a tip of the cap to DrTom's nudges... puzzles and cluing get their share of accolades, but there's an art form with the nudges too that the good doctor excels at. Even when I'm swift with a solve, I let myself back in to check out the nudges. Always good for a chuckle... (Tou can play this game, amiright?)
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

rjy wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:09 am BTW, a tip of the cap to DrTom's nudges... puzzles and cluing get their share of accolades, but there's an art form with the nudges too that the good doctor excels at. Even when I'm swift with a solve, I let myself back in to check out the nudges. Always good for a chuckle... (Tou can play this game, amiright?)
Hmm punning, dangerous pastime -keep that up and you'll end up in a NUT HATCH!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well I was on the trail (had all the back ends, spelling OHES .. hoes? shoe?) but since all of those pairs were synonyms or connectable without their clues, I didn’t dig hard enough into the clues to spot the ones that matched the front ends. Yes, as I said, I think I was just too work-weary. Great puzzle… hats off.

My hail Mary, if this had been for money or marbles, was “GO DUTCH” … so I woulda been close!
The other Wendy. :roll: