"Showtime" November 25, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

ON SHORE!! AND HEY, FIRST ENTRY ON PAGE TEN!

I typed up a request for a nudge three times. But in each instance I decided that, considering my name and all, doing so would seem like I would 10A.

So I kept at it.

I have one more comment that I will leave out as it may be deemed a spoiler.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On shore.
That was fun!
Thanks to everyone who makes this board a weekly homecoming.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Late start—on the shore! Go Blue!
STL-D

Post by STL-D »

Ashore with the gentlest of nudges from WW. Like others, I was on nearly the right road. Just a minor adjustment. Well done Mike!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Company has gone home and I am finally on shore. Enjoyed this one. Feeling really thankful for so many things!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Good morning,
Had a busy thanksgiving weekend, but managed to make it to shore this morning. Really amazed by Mike’s meta. Good luck all - thankful for this fun group!
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

The one movie that should have been added to the grid and that perfectly describes how well constructed this meta is: The Prestige (2006).
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I have been stuck on one approach all weekend. I refuse to believe it’s not the right approach, but I can’t make it work. Yet, I can’t give it up. I’m stuck in Dante’s nine circles of hell.
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

On Shore!
himself

Post by himself »

Grid solved with sister and brother in law, but still out at sea. Anyone care to DM a nudge on the meta?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

a couple of things on getting help. Rather than send out a broadcast SOS, it is more efficient to find someone who is on shore and send them a PM telling what you have done. (also make sure that your settings enable you to receive private messages) Also the system has the capability to send you an email when you receive a PM.

Second approach. The link to zoom is open all the time. In addition to meeting other muggles, it is very easy to set up a time when 2, 3 or more who may need help get together to try to solve it.

Third approach. In addition to the Friday 4:30 zoom session, there is a group "Last Call" zoom session at 8 pm ET on Sunday.

And sorry to the 45A fans. Your #2 Buckeyes did not fare well against the #3 Wolverines.

And we have our newest muggle - himself. Welcome to the group.

At present we have 13 on the ship and 132 on the shore.

New to the ship's lounge are

Bonnibel
escapeartist
HunterX
yodarkrutch
himself

And making their way to shore over the last 24 hours are
michaelm
HeadinHome
lbray
Heidi
Andrew B
Miki
cheekumbaldy
hunkra
Katiedid
Janet
dk letter
SHIWUTONG
Ann
chriscross
woozy
higgysue
David Wi
SusieG
ErikThor

Good luck to all winning the mug. And make sure that you post your rabbit holes on Monday or Tuesday. The rabbit is looking forward to some juicy selections this week.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SamanthaA

Post by SamanthaA »

On shore!
Colin

Post by Colin »

What a great TG!
But now my brain is empty.
Currently asea.
One world. One planet. One future.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Colin wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:00 pm What a great TG!
But now my brain is empty.
Currently asea.

This is the story of my educational experience.
Attachments
My Brain is Full.jpg
Rufus T. Firefly
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

ASHORE - and still not believing it. I tried something on a whim thinking it would never work, but to my very great astonishment, it did!
Sara
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Ashore! I didn’t think I would get this one but tried something, got something and went from there. I also can’t imagine how Mr. Shenk can put these together. It’s quite a feat.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

ImageWell once I got off the literal beach and devoted some time to it I was able to get to the figurative shore while still waiting to board. Super cool one from Mike! Loved it.

At the risk of boring you all I will add one more snorkeling pic. This is a miniature melo and it’s about a half inch long. In 25 years of shoemaking on St John I have never found one. So cool.
Attachments
F52E3CB4-F099-406F-B165-31E5B1B4EABE.jpeg
5AA8178D-AE09-4716-A53D-715A7631E7C6.jpeg
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Streroto wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:34 pm ImageWell once I got off the literal beach and devoted some time to it I was able to get to the figurative shore while still waiting to board. Super cool one from Mike! Loved it.

At the risk of boring you all I will add one more snorkeling pic. This is a miniature melo and it’s about a half inch long. In 25 years of shoemaking on St John I have never found one. So cool.
@Streroto - we are not bored. On the Tuesday zoom we were talking about the challenges of underwater photography. Great images and keep them comming.

Shoemaking? I am pretty sure that your snorkeling got changed to shoemaking.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

Late on the post, but I was happy to make it ashore with my parents on Friday. Thanks for making them feel so welcome on the weekly Zoom call! I continue to be thankful for this great community and the great puzzles. :)
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:55 am a couple of things on getting help. Rather than send out a broadcase SOS, it is more efficient to find someone who is on shore and send them a PM telling what you have done. (also make sure that your settings enable you to receive private messages) Also the system has the capability to send you an email when you receive a PM.
If new muggles are unsure whom to request a nudge from, you can look for people who are currently on-line, either by checking "Users browsing this forum" at the bottom of the page or by spotting an "online" banner next to a person's name and avatar at the right of a post. People who were recently on-line are more likely to be around to respond to nudge requests. Also, don't be afraid to send requests to multiple people once you have a "this is where I am stuck" summary compiled. At worst, you send out a few "Already got it, thanks!" responses.
In addition to the Friday 4:30 zoom session, there is a group "Last Call" zoom session at 8 pm ET on Sunday.
I'll be around the keyboard most of today and on the Last Call tonight for nudges.
And we have our newest muggle - himself. Welcome to the group.
Welcome, himself! If this is an Infinite Jest reference, please don't send out any video files! :)