"Just Stop" October 20, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. I see a path to one answer, which is inelegant but fair, and a path to another answer, which is elegant and just as fair. I’m going with elegant.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Just got to do the meta this afternoon. Was puzzled for a while after the first step and then smack, it's in front of you. No pageant. The show was one of my favorites when it aired. Tropicalia and Go Dawgs, even if we are not playing today
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Needed a hint to get to shore and I am pretty sure I wouldn't have arrived without the nudge. Used to watch this show all the time -- will say no more until Monday. Pass me the drinks menu puh-leeze.
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am still on the ship (man, I sound like a broken record). Things aren't looking so ROsy as I SEe not much. Who knows what tomorrow will bRING. Isaac is hoping it will bring an answer, as he is tirED of all the mathematics involved in calculating my tab. I can see PARt one but can't mAKE anything else work--yET!

We are far from the beach in this picture--we visited a cork farm in Evora.
20231020_111753.jpg
Penny_Keatley

Post by Penny_Keatley »

I think I’m close to the beach but now find myself stuck on the boat. Hopefully I’ll have an aha moment soon!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Add me to the shore party after spending way too much time floundering at Isaac's. Knew of the show but never watched it. Angels Envy on the rocks please!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

I remain in confinement on the ship, Isaac must be tired of me hanging around looking lost. But I do pay my tab promptly.
muggleunity

Post by muggleunity »

Isaac is my best friend.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

HunterX wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:02 pm I'm sure it's a great call, and I'd love to attend. But my kids and I don't even start the puzzle until 6pm Friday's (partly due to "work"). So if there is a lobbying group to push the call to Saturday afternoon...
The zoom room is available 24/7. If you announce a time you'd like to have a zoom solving session, odds are good that people will show up.

That's how the current times started; someone said let's do this and it became a regular thing. No reason there can't be another.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

I submitted an answer that I feel I can justify, but I also feel that I submitted only step 1 and that I'm being pageanted.

Monday will reveal!
JustAQuickThought
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

I'm all washed up. Throwing a waffle (full of air and as rigorous as Saran wrap) to New York, and letting it decompose quietly there, out of sight and out of mind. "Washed up" and "ashore" are not synonyms, but I am no longer on the boat either.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Finally ashore after a gentle, but necessary nudge from @DrTom. I had previously considered the correct answer but disregarded it because I was searching for the wrong type of confirmation.
Tcassutt

Post by Tcassutt »

Ashore, with a nudge.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ashore, after a couple of weeks of hopeless floating.
caf.caf

Post by caf.caf »

Ashore - but not 100% sure:)
Colin

Post by Colin »

i finished TV,
Wonderful World Cup rugby! 😢 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Ashore with some glee.
One world. One planet. One future.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Can’t wait til Monday to see all the other answers that everybody’s talking about! Thought mine was a lock but now starting to wonder.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Like some others, I think I'm ashore but it might be an hallucination. As my mother used to say, we shall see what we shall see.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I found a path that led to nothing for me.

So I called in the A-Team (my lovely wife) - without hesitation she divulged the contest answer.

Aaannd - it all makes sense now.

Love the A-Team! :) (my A-Team wife, it's not the answer (as far as I know))
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Nycerjohnnie

Post by Nycerjohnnie »

Think I’m on shore after some nudges and googling. I’m curious how anyone got this if they had never heard of the show (like I hadn’t). Interested to hear. Seems impossible to me without knowing the name of the show? What am I missing?