"Another Sports Meta" by Abide

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

SSSports? What sports?
Jay
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Sssolved! No google or nudges needed. It was indeed smooth sailing! Thanks, Peter!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Sssolved! Thanks for a fun puzzle, Peter!
Anita

Post by Anita »

SSSolved! No spoilers needed here.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Sssolved without spoilers, but I did need to Google!
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SSSailed into port, pleasant morning romp. Thanks Peter!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Another Monday sssolver here, fun one Peter. Thanks!
Ray
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Thanks Peter. Needed an easy one to recharge the mental batteries.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Looks like a lot of sports fans in our group
🏈 🏀 ⚾️ ……………………🏈 🏀 ⚾️
So far we have a Butkus number of solvers. Go Team Muggles!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
ajk

Post by ajk »

lol fancy that I know something about sports, but still needed the third nudge due to other knowledge deficiencies. :)
Fun stuff, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Abide

Post by Abide »

ajk wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:04 am still needed the third nudge
I should have included animal 🧬 DNA 😜
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
woozy

Post by woozy »

Abide wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:35 pm Here are some nudges for people that don't know anything about sports:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
This movie is not as well-watched or quite the quotable classic among the the 40 and under as we might assume.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Abide

Post by Abide »

woozy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 am

This movie is not as well-watched or quite the quotable classic among the the 40 and under as we might assume.
Having three daughters under age 40, I would disagree. I looked for some source material or link that would support your proposition, and came up Butkus.
—Brian MacDonald
woozy

Post by woozy »

Abide wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:28 pm
woozy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 am

Having three daughters under age 40, I would disagree. I looked for some source material or link that would support your proposition, and came up Butkus.
It's anecdotal. I have a group of friends born around 89 to 93 or so that I hang out with and play trivia with. The overall expectation of what is and is not common knowledge varies significantly. They all know of the movie but only 85% of them have seen it and most of them haven't seen it more than three times (unheard of too me). They think its amazing that I know the names of all the actors and that given a line of dialog I can identify the context. Meanwhile they assume everyone can name everything there is about The Goonies.

But to your point.... I thought I had written "might not be" rather than "is not". That's pretty important. Or, maybe I meant "is not quite the". I think those would make a huge difference in the intention of my statement.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Abide

Post by Abide »

We are up to Jack Ham (#59), which pairs nicely with the Easter ham.

Deadline for this prize puzzle is tomorrow at 10 EST.
—Brian MacDonald
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Abide wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 pm We are up to Jack Ham (#59)...
Jack Ham.jpg
One of my all-time favorites! Jack was born in Johnstown, PA, and played linebacker for Penn State and the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Answer : The Wizard of Oz

Winner from 61 entries: AFK

Original puzzle (New York Sun, circa 2003)

—Brian MacDonald
KayW

Post by KayW »

Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.