PCC#10 "Who's Missing?" (Sept. 30, 2023)

Welcome to Phil's Crossword Corner (PCC)! Philip Chow (aka Phil) is an auditor at NYC Dept of Parks and Recreation who makes crossword puzzles for fun in his free time. A new meta puzzle posts every other Saturday weekend on Crosshare.

Phil’s metas will usually include immediate nudges, a great tool for new solvers. You can reach him at pchow13@gmail.com
pchow13

PCC#10 "Who's Missing?" (Sept. 30, 2023)

Post by pchow13 »

Finally getting around to posting my old puzzles here on this forum.

Please see below for PCC#10 - "Who's Missing?" originally posted on Crosshare 09/30/23

[Level 2.5] Meta prompt: The solution to the meta is twofold. Someone is missing from the party. You need to figure out who is running late and what they are bringing to the party.

Format your answer in [guest] [what they're bringing]... For example, if my friend Yim were to bring her puppy Peanut, then the answer would be YIM PEANUT, and if my friend Tim were to bring his world-famous banana salad, then the answer would be TIM BANANA SALAD

Note: the level is the intended difficulty I had in mind when I designed the puzzle, but may play differently since every solver has their own area of expertise... what one person may find easy, another may find difficult.

Have fun and keep in mind if you're ever lost at sea, google is your best friend (actually, I don't know if you'd get internet service in the middle of the ocean)
-Phil :mrgreen:

Who's Missing?
crosshare
PUZ
PDF

PCC10 Whos Missing-1.png

Nudges below:

Hint #1: There are a lot of girl's names in the grid... You've probably heard of some of them to know what media franchise they belong to...

Hint #2: 15-Across and 37-Across don't count

Hint #3: 50-Down is the latest one (at time of this puzzle's publication)... find the one that's missing...

Hint #4: 4-Across hints at how to arrange the 13 princesses

Hint #5: Consider the first letters of the relevant clues

Solution below - SPOILER ALERT:

Answer explanation: At time of puzzle's publication, there are 13 Disney Princesses per the Disney Princess franchise: https://disneyprincess.fandom.com/wiki/ ... Princesses

All princesses are in the grid (clued in non-princessy ways) except for one: MULAN (this is the first half of the answer).

For the second half of the meta, we will arrange the princesses in alphabetical order (per the hint at 4-Across) and take the first letters of their clues: the H from Helper in Ariel... the O from Only in Aurora... the N from Notable in Belle... etc.

We eventually spell out "HONOR TO US ALL" (which is the name of one of the songs in "Mulan")... and so the meta answer is MULAN HONOR TO US ALL

Attachments
(4.45 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
(184.66 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by pchow13 on Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Ha! Cute.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Partial to Cinderella, Candidly.

That was fun, Phil!