MGWCC #830 — “Starting Directions”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Requested beam-up. I was confused about one thing but finally saw it. That's so cool.

Edit: beamed #86
Last edited by Katiedid on Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Submitted...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Beamed. With branch water. No ice.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

#100 on the list
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Looks like I just missed the last beam. Don't know about "easy," but at least I didn't have to sleep on it this week, so I guess that counts.
GGX

Post by GGX »

Beamed at 106. Fun meta!
Joe

Post by Joe »

As has been so often the case with me lately, I see what has to be the first step. But then I don't have any idea what to do with it.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

One of those grids that you have to fill scattershot with ones you DO know, and hope that when you come back to the hard bits there will be enough crossfill to figure out what the xx is meant by these clues! (Plus, a bit of googling for some obscure references.)

The mechanism came fairly easily, though the particulars were a bit different from what I expected. There was also a mean streak of rabbit in this stew!

Beamed.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Berto

Post by Berto »

Awaiting beam.
Hopefully I keyed in the right directions…

Beamed!
Last edited by Berto on Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Beamed.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Got the little [10] icon again, wonder how long I'll be able to hang onto it this time! Never long enough to get to [25] :-)
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed at 90. I got myself stuck by missing two things for awhile, even though I looked for them several times.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

If a challenging and somewhat obscure grid is part and parcel of a week 4 puzzle, our puzzle master has succeeded!

I'm looking forward to the reveal so I can check some of my answers.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Late start, but I've beamed aboard with little fuss, though completing the grid was daunting.

Great puzzle to celebrate my hundredth solve, even better that it was solo. You just never know when you're going to find yourself on the right wavelength from the start versus when you're going to find yourself lost in space. Difficulty rating is definitely not a reliable guide...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam... [Oof, that was hard to see it and then hard to know what to do with it. Only made it with nudges.]

... and I'm beamed at #176.
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I made this much more complicated than I needed to. Thanks to @ship4u I made a course correction.
Heidi
wjchatto

Post by wjchatto »

I'm pretty sure I have the first step, but nothing further. Could use a little nudge.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Missed the beam by 4m, so awaiting but confident. Right idea early on, but tricky path to the finish line... cheers all!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

One difficulty is that any careless transcription error can make the correct mechanism, even if you have it, completely invisible.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

[As yet unconfirmed but certain.] I was so close to a solo solve. An anomaly I'd noticed but interpreted incorrectly turned out to be the path to the solution. A visual nudge (thanks Joe) made it obvious.
Jay