Section Eight (WSJ, 04/27/24)

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
ChrisKochmanski

Section Eight (WSJ, 04/27/24)

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Another Patrick Berry creation to savor. I found it challenging enough to be absorbing and fun, while not so challenging that I ever felt like giving up.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I was down to one entry that I couldn’t see. But there is a way to use deductive reasoning. Finally got it.
"What e is but i isn’t." What a great clue!!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Meg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:08 pm I was down to one entry that I couldn’t see. But there is a way to use deductive reasoning. Finally got it.
"What e is but i isn’t." What a great clue!!
Agree! Though I had to ask my wife, a retired math teacher, to confirm the answer.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I knew e vs i, but "Self-aggrandizing comment" was a puzzler, a variant which I had to look up on the Internet once I knew what the letters had to be. I'm still doubtful. And I still don't have the "Adhesive dispenser" even though I know what the letters have to include. Either that, or there's an iditarod vehicle I've never heard of.
Jay
KayW

Post by KayW »

@Bird Lives
glue gun

I had to backsolve "Spiky burs to avoid when walking barefoot on a lawn". I'd never heard of the answer but was able to google once I got most of the next ring.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hoover

Post by hoover »

@KayW Same here, except I just put the letters in the only arrangement that would make some semblance of words. My last one to fill in was the "No publicity" injunction, which I finally got after scribbling down possibilities. Fortunately I was able to work from the inside out as well as from the outside in.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

KayW wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:49 pm @Bird Lives
glue gun

I had to backsolve "Spiky burs to avoid when walking barefoot on a lawn". I'd never heard of the answer but was able to google once I got most of the next ring.
Same here, wonder if that’s a regional thing.
Meg

Post by Meg »

We have them in Florida. Super painful when you step on them with bare feet.
Attachments
IMG_0074.jpeg
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

KayW wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:49 pm @Bird Lives
glue gun

That was the last one for me to solve as well, and I back-solved it too. It's interesting that it can be two words or one. In Colorado, we have goatheads which are the bane of bicyclists. They look similar to the answer. The rest of the puzzle was fun as always from PB.