PCC#2 "I'm So Vain I Probably Think This Puzzle's About Me" (Aug. 7, 2023)

Welcome to Phil's Crossword Corner (PCC)! Philip Chow (aka Phil) is an auditor at NYC Dept of Parks and Recreation who makes crossword puzzles for fun in his free time. A new meta puzzle posts every other Saturday weekend on Crosshare.

Phil’s metas will usually include immediate nudges, a great tool for new solvers. You can reach him at pchow13@gmail.com
pchow13

PCC#2 "I'm So Vain I Probably Think This Puzzle's About Me" (Aug. 7, 2023)

Post by pchow13 »

Finally getting around to posting my old puzzles here on this forum.

Please see below for PCC#2 - "I'm So Vain I Probably Think This Puzzle's About Me" originally posted on Crosshare with intended date of publication of 08/07/23

[Level 1] Meta prompt: The answer to the meta is a prolific crossword constructor who has published over 100 puzzles with the NY Times.

[USEFUL LINK: https://www.xwordinfo.com/Cards?select=topcons]

Note: the level is the intended difficulty I had in mind when I designed the puzzle, but may play differently since every solver has their own area of expertise... what one person may find easy, another may find difficult.

Have fun and keep in mind if you're ever lost at sea, google is your best friend (actually, I don't know if you'd get internet service in the middle of the ocean)
-Phil :mrgreen:

I'm So Vain I Probably Think This Puzzle's About Me
crosshare
PUZ
PDF
Note: The Crosshare version of the puzzle lists this as "Puzzle #68" (PCC#2)... this is NOT part of the meta - I used to number my non-meta puzzles and continued my numbering system before transitioning over to meta puzzles

PCC2 Im So Vain I Probably Think This Puzzles About Me-1.png

Nudges below:

Hint #1: It's not me (i'm not prolific enough 😭 )

Hint #2: What do all the long entries have in common?

Hint #3: Useful link: https://www.xwordinfo.com/Cards?select=topcons

Solution below - SPOILER ALERT:

Answer explanation: The theme of the puzzle is PCs which is smack dab in the center at 37A... there are 9 two-word entries (PEACE CORPS, PLASTIC CUPS, PAUL CEZANNE, PINA COLADA, PIE CHART, PET COSTUME, PIT CREW, PROMPT CARE, PINE CONE (pinecone may be written as one word or two)) that follow the letter pattern P+C... so we just need to comb through the list of most prolific constructors on xwordinfo.com until we find the name that fits that pattern: Peter Collins

Constructor notes: this was one of the first puzzles I ever made many years ago (vanity puzzle initials PC)... grid reworked a little and clues updated to give it a fresher vibe... I figured I could retro-fit some of my older puzzles into the meta format

Attachments
(3.87 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
(182.03 KiB) Downloaded 10 times