PCC#1 "20% Off Select Styles at J.Crew and Kmart" (July 31, 2023)

Welcome to Phil's Crossword Corner (PCC)! Philip Chow (aka Phil) is an auditor at NYC Dept of Parks and Recreation who makes crossword puzzles for fun in his free time. A new meta puzzle posts every other Saturday weekend on Crosshare.

Phil’s metas will usually include immediate nudges, a great tool for new solvers. You can reach him at pchow13@gmail.com
pchow13

PCC#1 "20% Off Select Styles at J.Crew and Kmart" (July 31, 2023)

Post by pchow13 »

Finally getting around to posting my old puzzles here on this forum.

Please see below for PCC#1 - "20% Off Select Styles at J.Crew and Kmart" originally posted on Crosshare on 07/31/23

[Level 2] Meta prompt: The answer to the meta is the name of my friend whom I wrote this puzzle for (and whose birthday is today, July 31)

Note: this is my first meta puzzle... it's an old puzzle that I adapted into a meta format by adding a prompt... many thanks to @damefoxwords for (1) test-solving and (2) introducing me to the Muggles forum

Note: the level is the intended difficulty I had in mind when I designed the puzzle, but may play differently since every solver has their own area of expertise... what one person may find easy, another may find difficult.

Have fun and keep in mind if you're ever lost at sea, google is your best friend (actually, I don't know if you'd get internet service in the middle of the ocean)
-Phil :mrgreen:

20% Off Select Styles at J.Crew and Kmart
crosshare
PUZ
PDF
Note: The Crosshare version of the puzzle lists this as "Puzzle #67" (PCC#1)... this is NOT part of the meta - I used to number my non-meta puzzles and continued my numbering system before transitioning over to meta puzzles

PCC1 20% Off Select Styles at JCrew and Kmart PCC1-1.png

Nudges below:

Hint #1: The four long entries are not part of the meta. Focus on the title instead: what is 20% expressed as a fraction?

Hint #2: 20% = 1/5... concentrate on the five-letter words... say them out loud... do any of them jump out to you?

Hint #3: The hint at 64-Down is twofold, "gimme five" means you need five words total... and "up top" means you need to take the top letter from these five words (20% off the top)

Hint #4: The five 5-letter words are symmetrically placed... starting with 1-Down

Solution below - SPOILER ALERT:

Answer explanation: Base solution: CPLUS + IBEAM + NSYNC + DFLAT + YAXIS = CINDY

Now that you know the solution is CINDY, see if you can find where in the puzzle I've hidden her name a second time (again with symmetrically placed entries).

Bonus solution - SPOILER ALERT:

Attachments
(4.67 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
(187.68 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Pretty Cool Cruciverbalism!

Got it, with nudges.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Needed only nudge 3 due to a misinterpretation of a clue, but fun puzzle and nice to get this collection dumped in our laps!
Ray
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: Nudged around the corner. A great first meta - thanks! (ha ha - at this point, I might have waited another month or two so I could wish your friend a more timely happy birthday)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.