MGWCC #831 — “You Can Say That Again”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

On board at #142. A nice fun week one! Thanks, Matt!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Easy, and also not difficult. 🤣. Beaming shortly I’m sure.
The other Wendy. :roll:
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Beamed. Also, I got the meta.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Gave up on the downs only, but did solve with no instructions (though I checked just to be sure.)

Don't see myself on the leaderboard - oh, wait, I didn't submit yet did I. OK, should be there soon.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Beamed and I see I crossed a streak threshold. I'm sure that if I keep up the solo solve approach from today I can rid myself of the troublesome streak in no time at all.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Late start but beamed! Started out downs only but got impatient on finishing the grid. I kinda wish I'd stuck it out, in retrospect I think I would have had a lot of fun with it.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam... [Half the grid filled seems enough to me! Let's take a stab...]

... and I'm beamed at #277. :D
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri May 03, 2024 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Submitted one minute after Abide. Waiting for transport. Probably my best chance for first place if I could have worked on it immediately. But probably not.

Two after Abide at 271.
Last edited by lbray53 on Fri May 03, 2024 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Out playing all day. Glad to have a week 1. Solved and submitted.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Beamed.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Downs-only, no-instructions - albeit w a peek at a couple across clues to confirm the fill. Fun one, Matt!
Ray
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Didn’t get to it until today but nice and
► Show Spoiler
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I did the downs only, no instructions version. I ended up with a couple incorrect squares, but got the meta early enough to help with the grid fill.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

In my first attempt, I completed the puzzle with my preferred writing hand tied behind my back, my eyes covered by a blindfold, and with the clues read to me in Mandarin Chinese, a language that I do not speak.

Due to the blindfold, I proceeded to write all over the kitchen table; sadly, only some of the markings were vaguely recognizable as English language letters.

These did not lead me to a successful identification of the meta answer.

I'm thinking that I may attempt this strategy again, for this month's Week 5, though I may replace having my right hand tied behind my back with a full body straitjacket.

It's up to the doctors at this point.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:26 pm I'm thinking that I may attempt this strategy again, for this month's Week 5, though I may replace having my right hand tied behind my back with a full body straitjacket.
Well, at least you'll have some time to learn a little Mandarin if you want.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

SayThatAgain.png
-Tamara
woozy

Post by woozy »

So with all the people who weren't that familiar with pig latin, or tarot cards, the fifth beatle, or Steven Soderbergh movies, etc. I'm a little curious how well known is the Jinx game.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.