"King Me!" - April 30, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good afternoon sequestered muggles

This contest is either easy or impossible based on the comments

However we have five new muggles this week: Mmac, jb3211123, Emd (Ethan), F Liu and fstadler.

Currently we have 12 on the ship and 65 on the shore.

Good luck to all getting to the right shore
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:56 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:31 am
SeanS wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:28 am Ashore. To quote Chris Farley..... that was awesome.

I'll take a Yuengling and go off to practice with my new sand wedge
Tee time next Friday. Cannot wait.
I am coming to wherever you are. Golf courses closed in NE and NY except for CN and RI
My husband is driving to Ventura County this weekend to golf. They opened them there last weekend. No carts, though.
Heidi
docison

Post by docison »

Ashore. Happy weekend to all.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

I went down some bunny holes last night, but all became clear in the morning. Ashore!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Still on the ship with Isaac. Like others I found the grid harder than usual.
Hoping for post enlightenment because even though I see what I think I need to see to no longer be out to sea I still don't exactly see how to solve the meta.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done. Took me 5 different times to find the right rabbit hole.

Now for either a Blackberry Brandy, or Seagram's 7 and Coke.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

I'm pretty darned sure I have the first step and it definitely looks like something that will point to a solution. What I see can't be a coincidence. But danged if I can figure out where to go from here!
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Meg wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:05 pm
Geoduck wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:17 am While I'm asking questions, where can one find the PUZ file for these?
There is a website where you can get every wsj crossword in AcrossLite, including the meta crossword.
https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/20-wsj.html
The upside is you save on toner. You can make the black squares grey. The downside is sometimes you have to wait 10-15 minutes for it to update itself.
Thanks for this. I'm surprised these PUZ files exist but are not made available from the WSJ. I've been getting them from the Daily Crossword Links email, but I wouldn't get this puzzle until late tonight from that source.

Are these not posted on the WSJ?
Last edited by Geoduck on Fri May 01, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

norrin2 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:42 pm On shore with an iced tea in my hand -- still haven't mastered the art of day drinking. But I'm working on it.
Practice, practice, practice
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Boom! And just like that I nailed it. I hope it's not verboten to mention that using the PUZ file made it more solvable for me.

On the shore! I'll have an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.

Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm still hanging out with Isaac... I'm not sure that I'll be able to get this one! I have zero knowledge in the area that might be useful, and reading up online isn't helping me.
boharr

Post by boharr »

rexthree wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:31 pm Still on the ship with Isaac. Like others I found the grid harder than usual.
Hoping for post enlightenment because even though I see what I think I need to see to no longer be out to sea I still don't exactly see how to solve the meta.
Same with me.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

As I happily sip my mai tai on the beach I'll admit the grid was kind of hard for me. The meta also took some time to know what to do with what I already saw must be the means to the answer. After the aha moment the solution came quickly. This was a very clever and satisfying puzzle!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I believe I am ashore! It was fun. Good luck muggles!
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach! 🏖 🍹 This one gave me some trouble!

It’s been ages since I’ve had a pomegranate margarita, and with Cinco de Mayo coming up, it’s about time!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Laura M wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:10 pm I'm still hanging out with Isaac... I'm not sure that I'll be able to get this one! I have zero knowledge in the area that might be useful, and reading up online isn't helping me.
I sent a snap of the puzzle to my son, as I sometimes do just to try to lure him into metas. He almost never bites, but this time he actually CALLED me (extremely rare event) and pointed some things out to me. Still took me a relatively long, clumsy time to go from idea to correct execution. I think you'll get it!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

hcbirker wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:06 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:56 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:31 am

Tee time next Friday. Cannot wait.
I am coming to wherever you are. Golf courses closed in NE and NY except for CN and RI
My husband is driving to Ventura County this weekend to golf. They opened them there last weekend. No carts, though.
Couldn't be happier: County courses. 6' distancing at all times. Flags stay in cups, with hints that ball will not fall down as far. No rakes at traps. One person, one bag per golf cart. Walk & carry or walk with personal handcart. No rentals other than golf carts. Credit card payments, only. 4 person limit in pro shop, with distancing. Limited prepackaged snacks & drinks. Pro Shop restrooms open. No restrooms or water fountains open/working on course. Only golfers allowed. Once finished, must leave.

A very few local private courses have been open this past month, but getting tee times has been difficult. Similar rules.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

BethA wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:44 pm On the beach! 🏖 🍹 This one gave me some trouble!

It’s been ages since I’ve had a pomegranate margarita, and with Cinco de Mayo coming up, it’s about time!
One of our local eateries makes a hibiscus margarita. Delicioso!
Heidi
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Stuck at that step 2 that others mentioned. Hoping for some post enlightenment.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:14 am
Geoduck wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:09 am OK, so if I didn't participate in this forum, I would never have seen "The answer to this week's contest crossword is a historic monarch." I usually see the prompt in the pop-over window that arises when I forst open the grid, and can view it again if I click on "Crossword Info" under the grid. All I See is the contest title: King Me.

Where are you all seeing this prompt?
On the PDFs. (See below.)

For whatever reason & for the past couple of months, the meta clue has not been added to the pop-over window, when solving online.

20200501 King Me full PDF.gif

The blank pop-over window:

20200501 King Me pop-over window.gif
Yes, it’s a disappointing omission for some weeks now. But the silver lining is that I’m enjoying printing out the Contest Puzzle and solving with pen in hand.