"Talk to the Hand"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Confirmed OTC. Nice job... now it's back to washing windows.
spotter

Post by spotter »

damefox wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:17 pm
joequavis wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:09 pm 30D, while not a gimme, was a lot easier than it would have been a few weeks ago.
I'm glad you mentioned this clue, because I went to look at it to remind myself what is was, and frustratingly there is a typo in it that I didn't notice because my French is not as good as it used to be. It should say, "La classe de danse," not "La classe de dance." Doh! This is in no way related to the meta though.
And 30A was a nice signature! Should've been clued as "Fox, for example" :lol:
Abide

Post by Abide »

Off the couch, although it took longer than a Week 1 for me. Outstanding effort; something tells me this ain't your first rodeo.

I really liked your cluing style (32-D, 39-D, 4-D, 67-A), with timely fresh entries at 34-D, 29-A, 11-D, 56-A.

Also the personal touches at 30-A and 47-D! A lot to like here!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. Well said Abide! Nicely done.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Off the couch, I think! Very good.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Great job! I learned a new term, and I relearned to trust my initial instincts.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Really enjoyed the grid—thanks Emma. I have to admit that I had never heard this two word expression before. I’m afraid that this meta is NFOF (an initialism we throw around at the old age home).
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Thanks, oldjudge. I'm looking at a two word expression I've never heard of but get google hits on. Was wondering if that could really be it. This gave me the confidence to go ahead and submit.

Edit: confirmed!! I learned a new phrase. I feel younger:)

Fun puzzle. Thanks, Emma!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Just got to this after a long day of kayaking. Took our inflatables out with my son and his girlfriend. Finally had everything set up and ready to go and realized I had a leak. Read the patch kit directions: Deflate kayak, clean thoroughly, put glue on and let dry for 12 hours. Uh....how about slap some glue on the dirty thing and hop right in the water and hope for the best, with the pump attached in case I have to squeeze it the entire trip? It was all fine. Seven or so leisurely miles. Saw a fawn, a zillion geese and ducks, a couple turtles, either a lot of great blue herons or the same on over and over, a green heron, and an osprey! I don't think I've ever seen one around here before. Even saw it fly by holding a fish. Wonderful but tiring day.

Oh, and I got the meta! Very nice! I had heard of the phrase, but I didn't actually know exactly what it meant until now.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Apparently the phrase has been “around” since 2003, and added by Merriam-Webster in January 2019. Weird that I came across it for the first time three weeks ago.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

I think I am off the couch.
30A, the meta meta! (Spoken like the Little Caesars commercials.)
Excellent grid--learned a little plus some fun clues. Thanks!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch.
I also learned a new phrase.
The grid was very enjoyable!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Off the couch. Very nicely crafted puzzle!
For the record, pretty sure I prefer CROON to CRUNK!

Cheers!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

🚶🏻🛋️, 🤔
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

OTC as well. Meaning of title and solution new to me. Crosswords are always good for a "TIL" (today I learned) or two.
Nice construction, Emma.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Love all the "in" jokes, the DAME reference, the DEGAS and since I am an Episcopalian, thanks for the shout out. I also chuckled over relishes. I've never done a Cryptic, they always looked too difficult, but given my love of the pun and wordplay you would think I'd be drawn to them. Perhaps if I get better at Metas and don't spend DAYS on them I'll have time for a cryptic.

Had initially a tough time with the GRID, but once I stopped trying to speed read: "what in the world is someone who is a genius about TREES" and "stand off fish - well I suppose a bonefish - unless you go to the grill?" it became a LOT easier. I also DESPERATELY wanted the answer to 35D to be EWE for a phonic fun fest. All that said, I think I see the catch, I just don't see how to reel the catch in (maybe its a bonefish?). I'll spend a bit more time, but the GRID was almost enough fun for me to be satisfied.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Off the couch! Well-constructed puzzle and very enjoyable. Thanks Emma!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Seems like people are liking the puzzle, so hooray! We've reached Nudge Wednesday; I only have one hint to give those who may be struggling, but if you need another please ask.

The mechanism is not difficult to find. You probably found it. If you still don't have an answer, I suspect you are just not familiar with this particular phrase, which definitely skews millennial. Try Googling your best guess and see if you can convince yourself it's a real phrase. Don't overthink it.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I really liked the crossword clues! Enjoyable grid. I’m still working on the meta, though. Going through a dense patch.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Off the couch! Although, in a much more literal sense, still on the couch.

Nice puzzle! I enjoyed it!

(and thanks for the shout out!)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.