"Strange Attractors" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Solved and confirmed - thanks for the puzzle, Ben
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hmnm... Don't know why I didn't see that until after the nudges where posted even though everything in the nudges I had figured and assumed to begin with. But somehow I see it now and didn't see it the first several days.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Nudged over the moat. Well disguised meta, Ben.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A good burst of solvers today! Keep 'em coming!

bergie
Charles Montpetit
Cinny
KayW
CPJohnson
Mwoychick
woozy
badgey
Kirk B
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
vandono

Post by vandono »

i had pretty much given up on this one but was revisiting a few metas and part of it finally just jumped out at me and slapped me in the face. then it all fell together. (confirmed by crosshare) i'm finally getting the hang of these i hope. thanks, Ben!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

What the last two solvers said - we probably all saw it but didn't see it....dang moat!

Anyway, I'm dried off and sitting in the great hall awaiting the arrival of the jester! Oh good, I've been told that the jester just arrived...hey wait a minute I just arrived. OK, OK, let me fetch my pointy shoes with the bells.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I still struggled. Even with the hints! I just could not shake off the math/science discussion. I made this WAY too hard. But I did get a nice review of astronomy and dark matter.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Minutes after I discovered that my crosswords on Crosshare have stats pages (for constructors only), the website seems to have gone down! I was about to do an update of successful solvers, too.

Edit: Turns out it was just my browser malfunctioning. I restarted it and the site is fine. Weird!
Last edited by benchen71 on Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

From what was cached on my phone, I can add:

Dow Jones
el
vandono
DrTom
Carolyn
lbray53

I'll do a final solvers update before posting the solution Monday morning (Australia time).
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Only one additional solver before the answer reveal:

hashbrown

Congratulations to the 42 successful solvers!

By the way, this was my most completed grid on Crosshare: 192 people completed the puzzle. There were 52 meta submissions, with 39 correct responses. (The other 3 correct solvers submitted via DM.)
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Monday morning here in Melbourne, which means... the solution:

Strange Attractors (solution).png

Four black squares ("DARK MATTER") were acting as MAGNETS, each attracting a specific letter. IRON is an appropriate answer, since IRON is ferro-magnetic. But props to a couple of solvers who suggested NOIR (perhaps following an inward spiral pattern, like something moving under the influence of gravity with some orbital velocity but not quite enough to escape!)

Another MOAT to cross coming your way on Tuesday. (And, if all goes to plan, a guest appearance on MGWCC on Friday!)