"My Funny Valentine"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Abide

Post by Abide »

"My Funny Valentine" Reveal

Description provided by @Schmeel

Happy Valentine's day!
I see 64A that provides instructions - find synonyms, some entries for others.
I see 3 2-word theme entries:
16A - LION ATTACK which can be changed to BEAR ONSLAUGHT
34A SWEET LAND which can be adjusted to BONBON NATION
57A HUNGRY SICK which can also be solved as EAGER WEAK
The initials of those synonyms are BOB NEW. 'Heart' can replace each of the two words of the theme entries: lionheart, heart attack, sweetheart, heartland, Hungry Heart, heartsick. Add that 'heart' and you get 'Bob Newhart', a comedic actor, fitting to the title, and the answer to the meta.

Reveal provided by @KayW

My Funny Valentine.png
Thanks all for solving. Tomorrow's MMM is by @DrTom !
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I may be hanging around these parts too much since early in the game I was considering linking the latter part of 52A with 43D - inJOKES.

This was just a LOVE- ly puzzle!
And it didn't hurt that the answer was who it was. :)
rjy

Post by rjy »

Glad we get more than one try in submitting, I went immediately to Kevin Hart when I saw HEART could be a substitute for all 6 words. Took a bit longer to piece it together but really enjoyed it… Nice construction, thanks!
Ray
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

I got BOB NEW and figured from the title it had to be Bob Newhart. The puzzle was even more ingenious than I thought! A hearty thank you!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm embarrassed to admit that I never even noticed that heart goes with all the theme words. Just found the alternates, got BOB NEW and assumed Valentine's Day gave me the HART. I'm even more impressed now.

I was surprised that the Chicago Lions Rugby team was referenced but then later thought that perhaps it's the other way around and the Bears are also an NFC Central team.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:45 pm I'm embarrassed to admit that I never even noticed that heart goes with all the theme words. Just found the alternates, got BOB NEW and assumed Valentine's Day gave me the HART. I'm even more impressed now.

I was surprised that the Chicago Lions Rugby team was referenced but then later thought that perhaps it's the other way around and the Bears are also an NFC Central team.
Same, I didnt notice how the word heart fit in...and didn't even know there was a NFC north lol.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Wow! I totally missed that bit of elegance. Way to go Peter!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I was one of the heart-oblivious solvers as well. Realized it only when @Abide asked me to add :heart: :heart: :heart: to the reveal :roll: Pearls before swine. And lovely pearls they are indeed.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.