Thursday's puzzle "Representative Group"

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
lostatsea

Thursday's puzzle "Representative Group"

Post by lostatsea »

Can someone explain the answer to this one for me? It appears to be CONTNT--with the "e" from CONTENT having being mushed together to form a TE in the square joining CONTENT and HEAT ELEMENT. I understood all other answers in the puzzle: hint, dash, trace, but can't understand the TE nor can I figure out what "CONTENT" has to do with "representative group" other than some very obscure reference to voting blocks in the British Parliament. I'd love some explanation of what I am missing....

xfiles
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

lostatsea wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:59 pm Can someone explain the answer to this one for me? It appears to be CONTNT--with the "e" from CONTENT having being mushed together to form a TE in the square joining CONTENT and HEAT ELEMENT. I understood all other answers in the puzzle: hint, dash, trace, but can't understand the TE nor can I figure out what "CONTENT" has to do with "representative group" other than some very obscure reference to voting blocks in the British Parliament. I'd love some explanation of what I am missing....

xfiles
It’s tinge. Con(tinge)ent and hea(tinge)lement.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)