"Between Meals" - April 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

docison wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:54 pm Ashore. Not so sure about a sandwich themed puzzle during passover though!
My wife seconds that. However, I was enjoying Russian butterbrod while solving the grid, definitely not kosher. Team effort. Done and done.
Sisoop

Post by Sisoop »

Safely ashore!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore.
CallMeShane

Post by CallMeShane »

Done.

And with time on my hand, I devote myself to that most sublime of all literary sub-genres. I give you ... Spam haiku

stomach rumbles now
eat cans of pink greasy Spam
bowels grumble later
Patty

Post by Patty »

Ashore!

I am quite confident this was posted previously...but since I have just read the article about our group I figured there may be others out there who hadn't seen it yet. In case you missed it: https://www.wsjplus.com/articles/meet-the-muggles
howardl

Post by howardl »

I'm on shore the quickest I have ever been there.
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

On the beach...and was handed a fine. Stay home and stay safe!
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Good to be back on shore after two weeks in the ocean (which itself snapped a nine-week winning streak).
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

howardl wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:46 am I'm on shore the quickest I have ever been there.
Wow. And I'm still baffled (as is Isaac.) Just no clue for either of us
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I solved the meta on Thursday...a rare event for me. On shore, Bob!
Cynthia
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore! More spam haiku:
Tender pink morsel
Glistening in salty gel
What the hell is it?

Happy Easter, all!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

My Ode to Hormel:

"Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam,
Lovely Spam, wonderful Spam..."
Soundtrack of my life.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:28 pm Fun grid - Now to spend four days in a fight with the meta. Whats my prediction for that fight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WZ1ALkP5Ck
And the Meta's response..."I pity the man who fights me..."
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:26 pm OMG - I think I am Onshore. One thing bothers me but I definitely got a sandwich.
YAY! Every one of us knows that feeling, the first time you see the "AHA". Of course now you REALLY are in trouble because, like chips, you cannot stop at one. So glad that you've found your way to the beach...now stay 6 feet away from anyone. :)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

CallMeShane wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:46 am Done.

And with time on my hand, I devote myself to that most sublime of all literary sub-genres. I give you ... Spam haiku

stomach rumbles now
bowels grumble later
I'm sure most everyone has seen this, but it cracked me up:
SPAM.jpg
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Patty wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:22 am Ashore!

I am quite confident this was posted previously...but since I have just read the article about our group I figured there may be others out there who hadn't seen it yet. In case you missed it: https://www.wsjplus.com/articles/meet-the-muggles
Thanks Patty. I had heard of an article and actually think I saw a different one? This was new to me and very enjoyable because it gave me more info on my favorite group! Who'd have thought a bunch of "word nerds" would end up in their own WSJ article.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

edot wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:07 pm
edot wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:21 pm
DrTom wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:02 pm Ah the wonders of post enlightenment! I had the right idea all along I just could not put it correctly into play. I did try some wild gyrations before finally seeing the rabbit's butt (as Meg alludes to). Gosh I have a great pun here but I'm afraid it would be WAY too close to a spoiler, I'll wait until later. Dang and I do love puns, I'll satisfy myself with a beer and a sandwich instead -now what kind....

So that I'm clear, ASHORE!
Finished the grid and hoping for the same post enlightenment as you by posting this!! :D
Wow post enlightenment works -- I'm ashore! Fun meta and great start to the weekend
See....
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:22 am
CallMeShane wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:46 am Done.

stomach rumbles now
bowels grumble later
I'm sure most everyone has seen this, but it cracked me up:
SPAM.jpg
I remember a MASH episode where they found a lamb just before Easter and they wanted to have it as an Easter celebration but Radar objected. So they had a Spam lamb for dinner.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

On the shore. Had to stare on and off for a while, but finally had the AHA moment.

PS: Today is 1 year anniversary of my joining of this forum!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

[quote=Richard post_id=17362 time=1586463390 user_id=111]
Is anyone else having trouble doing this on line.? Type in a letter and it disappears.
[I've had this issue this week starting on Wednesday. It's happened before. I tried reloading and, while I may get a couple more clues completed, it reverts. Very frustrating.
]