"In The Country" April 12, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

BethA wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:35 am
I routinely do LAT, NYT, NYer, and WSJ daily puzzles, but don’t always get to all of them. So when someone calls out one here that they particularly like, I always appreciate it, then rush to to do it if I haven’t already.
I thought today's Los Angetles Times crossword was very enjoyable. The nice thing about the LA Times is that you can print them out for free. When Matt's puzzle is postponed on Friday, as it was today, Cynthia and I have a nice puzzle to work on during lunch.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
newbymar

Post by newbymar »

Ashore with one brother-the other one decided seeing tennis in Monte Carlo was more important than a WSJ puzzle.
[Mary Milani Newby ;)
chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

BethA wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:35 am I really enjoyed yesterday’s April 11 NYT crossword! It was nearly a meta puzzle. Anyway I got some aha moments out of it!

I routinely do LAT, NYT, NYer, and WSJ daily puzzles, but don’t always get to all of them. So when someone calls out one here that they particularly like, I always appreciate it, then rush to to do it if I haven’t already. Just returning the favor.

Also, often do the WaPo on Sunday, especially if it’s a meta. Last Sunday’s wasn’t exactly a meta either, but a lot of fun. “Playing the Hits” and it reminded me of a Muggle Meta quite awhile ago.
I'm a regular of the LAT as well and today's was excellent. Had I known we had fans of the LAT puzzle I would have posted a note to check out the puzzle from 3/28. I think it's too late to access it now, but there was a great grid answer for some sort of a do nothing exercise = DIDDLYSQUATS! That was my primary form of exercise last week on a cruise ship ;-)

Oh, and I'm on the beach. It's going to be a Meiomi Pinot Noir tonight.
Last edited by chocoholic on Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Blind at first and into several very deep (and I have to assume, intentional) rabbit holes, but then, while working on one of those rabbit holes the truth was revealed, the clouds parted, I put my Canned Heat album on and off I went.

ASHORE

Why I Double-check My Texts
Fancy a quickie.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Merry Potter

Post by Merry Potter »

ship4u wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:21 pm
BethA wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:35 am
I routinely do LAT, NYT, NYer, and WSJ daily puzzles, but don’t always get to all of them. So when someone calls out one here that they particularly like, I always appreciate it, then rush to to do it if I haven’t already.
I thought today's Los Angetles Times crossword was very enjoyable. The nice thing about the LA Times is that you can print them out for free. When Matt's puzzle is postponed on Friday, as it was today, Cynthia and I have a nice puzzle to work on during lunch.
I enjoyed the LAX puzzle today as well but for others "I guess you had to be there" :)
If I don't win a mug, I can always make one... ;) but it won't have the same cachet.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I am not getting this, which is very frustrating given the ease with which others seem to have!
altosax

Post by altosax »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:44 pm I am not getting this, which is very frustrating given the ease with which others seem to have!
I know exactly how you feel.
altosax

Post by altosax »

Again the meta puzzle reinforces my humility and prevents me from getting an inflated ego. I'll join the meeting to get some hints from the other 99.5% of the people who solved it.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

altosax wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:50 pm
Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:44 pm I am not getting this, which is very frustrating given the ease with which others seem to have!
Amazingly that was the quickest case of post enlightenment I have ever experienced! I’m on shore. I hope the same happens to you!!
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Ashore! Got it just before the Zoom solve!

See you soon!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:52 pm
altosax wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:50 pm
Amazingly that was the quickest case of post enlightenment I have ever experienced! I’m on shore. I hope the same happens to you!!
I didn't get it for a while and tuned here to get a feel for the water and a bit of commiseration with others not getting, only to see about five pages of "fast swim" "sometimes it jumps at you" and ... wow, really?

But when there were a few "The rabbits not going to have any problem" and "Isaac will be lonely this week" I just wanted to shout and typed up for cathartic reasons without any actual intent of posting "What the #### are you guys *talking* about?! This one was is ####ing hard!" And ... then I saw it.

It wasn't a hard one and there were no tricks but it wasn't a quick swim either. When you see it, you see it but it doesn't jump at you. You have to look, and look, and look.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Ashore
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

On the beach, in the good company of some great Muggle Zoomers! Have a splendid weekend, folks!
Jayboy1

Post by Jayboy1 »

Ashore!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

A great group on the Friday Zoom! Thanks for making Friday a special day! Have a great weekend everyone!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
JoeFlanders

Post by JoeFlanders »

Ashore. I'm pretty sure Mike Shenk took pity on me this week and last after the run of impossible ones.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

The zoom gave one slight nudge, where the title clicked for me and it came together quickly after that. Happy to say I can put away the Dramamine for another week, and in it's place I'll take an ice cold Pacifico please! Have a great weekend all!
If you see me on the beach, feel free to pm for a nudge. After all the help I’ve got, I am happy to send it forward when I can!
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Ashore (last night, actually)! was waiting for confirmation from another muggle (thank you, @BarbaraK !) as i wasn't sure i was all the way ashore. Turns out I was :)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:38 pm

But when there were a few "The rabbits not going to have any problem" and "Isaac will be lonely this week" I just wanted to shout and typed up for cathartic reasons without any actual intent of posting "What the #### are you guys *talking* about?! This one was is ####ing hard!" And ... then I saw it.
Well see, you just had to POUND (#) it out :lol: :lol: :lol:

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion, Jill, Mitch and I are on the sand........good meta and glad to have it done!