"Literary Numerals" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
KayW

Post by KayW »

:tornado: :european_castle: Nudged across the moat.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The nudges were released a couple of days ago, and they had the desired effect: more solvers!

jbird
whimsy
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
Cindy Heisler
Johnny Luau
KayW
LindaPRmaven
CPJohnson

Keep at it. This puzzle is so much easier than the current Matt Gaffney week 4!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Before I release the answer, here are the remaining solvers:

Spid4567
prog plus chat
Laura M

That's a total of 20. I guess that's reasonable for a week 3!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the answer to "Literary Numbers":

Literary Numerals (solution).png

This grid was fiendishly difficult to construct. I had to get 4 entries in with specific clue numbers and four author surnames. PUBLISHER in the centre was a bonus: it was a word that came up as I was working on the fill and I realised it could be clued to provide a hint. Then, of course, there was the give-away at the bottom of the grid. As I worked on the fill, there were times I wanted to change the grid slightly, but every time it would mess up the clue numbers. In the end I just had to live with some tricky grid entries, especially in the bottom left corner.

As for the meta mechanic, I hope you enjoyed the moment when you first realised the clue number was part of a book title. Admittedly, I ignored "The" for two of them, and the number could go before or after the grid entry. But I figured it would be obvious enough once you found one (in conjunction with the included author names and perhaps some judicious googling). Out of interest, which one did you see first? My money is on either "CATCH 22" or "(The) 39 STEPS".

After the first day of play, I edited the clue for 22 down on Crosshare: there were definitely too many numbers, when only "8" was needed. I'll put it down to my unfamiliarity with the source material: as a baseball outsider, I did not know how well known "The Catch" was.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Before the nudges I saw only Catch 22! :P
boharr

Post by boharr »

Catch 22 was the first for me. Followed by 39 Steps. Then Station 11 as my wife just read it.