MEOW #87: Sui Generis

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Cat out of the bag. Sui Genius, Josh.
vandono

Post by vandono »

I stared and I thought and I thought and I stared and finally I thought I had an idea. I clicked on the link to see the prompt again and I don't know what I had clicked on or when but the contest answer was displayed on the page. So no mug for me and the cat. But I went ahead and printed the finished grid and went on with my plan and in the end I got the displayed answer plus an extra letter. So now I'm not sure I was on the right track anyway but if I'm not then there's an idea for another meta I guess.

I'll try to be more careful where I click in the future.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Cat out of the bag. I got a headache trying to figure out how you did this. Nice.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Unknotted the bag to let the cat out once I gave up on the distraction and focused on the important part. Very apt solution.
Darth

Post by Darth »

"The cat is out. I repeat, cat is out." ..."Copy that!"
Attachments
images (4).jpg
DebbieC

Post by DebbieC »

No nudges?
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Well the puzzle is broken, but for those adventurous enough to tackle it anyway :)

see anything strange about the grid? See anything strange about the grid?

As with last week, you may want to grab your highlighter!

if you do the right thing you will get the answer plus an extra Y that doesn't belong
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

(Intended) solution:

It was hard to miss that nearly every entry in the grid was repeated at least once. If you highlighted all repeated words, the unshaded letters should have spelled out SINGLE.

Due to an oversight this was not quite the case. Still, it was fun trying to speed-construct a puzzle!

We have another guest constructor after Tom, and then MEOW may unfortunately be going on break for a while. Or I might hand it over to someone or something. I dont really know. But I think I can only handle one or two puzzles a month at the moment :)
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
boharr

Post by boharr »

We appreciate all your puzzles. So take whatever breaks you need.