MEOW #94 Split the Bill

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Leaderboard Day #1

1 LauraM
2 Schmeel
3 Cindy
4 Meg
5 boharr
6 Mme
7 rjy
8 hoover
9 ChrisKochmanski
10 ergcat
15 Beth Tyrpin
11 Darth
12 MarkWoychick
13 Gutman
14 SJMcK

Over a dozen cats of various sizes and shapes running around the place - but we need more!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I forgot to include my intrepid test solvers on the list, and that is a grave oversight. These people often see a much less polished puzzle and their efforts really make for a better experience for all. I use a number of different people (believe it or not my humor can wear on you after a while) but for this particular puzzle it was:
T whimsy
T Cinny
T Bird Lives
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

DrTom wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:09 pm Well DRAT. One of the clues asks for the number of German words (including this one) in the puzzle. Unfortunately one of the words got edited out with a change suggested by a tester (which really made the puzzle better) so now you just have to pretend there is one more....let's say it is dummkopf!

It does not affect the meta.

T
I don’t know about that .. what if we put 111A with the others? 😁
The other Wendy. :roll:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I haven’t solved yet BTW - still scanning this colossal grid.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

The Rapper Eminem Copy.jpg

Here is my costume for work one year as 54A.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Cat is out! Finally got a chance to really dig into this puzzle and I enjoyed it a lot. Nice one, DrTom!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:29 am
DrTom wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:09 pm Well DRAT. One of the clues asks for the number of German words (including this one) in the puzzle. Unfortunately one of the words got edited out with a change suggested by a tester (which really made the puzzle better) so now you just have to pretend there is one more....let's say it is dummkopf!

It does not affect the meta.

T
I don’t know about that .. what if we put 111A with the others? 😁
I was going to try to say to the inquiry about the number of words, "Hey what's up 111A you" but since 111A is there masquerading as a different meaning I could not.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

lbray53 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:42 am The Rapper Eminem Copy.jpg

Here is my costume for work one year as 54A.
That's a rap!
woozy

Post by woozy »

DrTom wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:06 am Leaderboard Day #1

1 LauraM
2 Schmeel
3 Cindy
4 Meg
5 boharr
6 Mme
7 rjy
8 hoover
9 ChrisKochmanski
10 ergcat
15 Beth Tyrpin
11 Darth
12 MarkWoychick
13 Gutman
14 SJMcK

Over a dozen cats of various sizes and shapes running around the place - but we need more!!!
Well.... cough, cough.....
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, one i missed:
woozy
and one new one
edestlin

SO a grand total of 17. I think we may have hit supersaturation on metas. it may be time to actually decrease the number so people do not have an entire week of them to worry about. Interestingly this is the definition of supersaturation:
Supersaturation occurs with a solution when the concentration of a solute exceeds the concentration specified by the value of solubility at equilibrium. Most commonly the term is applied to a solution of a solid in a liquid. A supersaturated solution is in a metastable state; it may be brought to equilibrium by forcing the excess of solute to separate from the solution.

We can probably redefine it to be:

supersaturation occurs when the concentration of puzzles exceeds the amount of concentration that can be devoted to solution at equilibrium. Most commonly the term is applied to a solution of a meta on a forum. A supersaturated condition is an unstable meta state; it may be brought to equilibrium by forcing the excess of metas to separate from the forum.

Madhatter may have simply seen the writing on the wall before some of us did.
boharr

Post by boharr »

This does make a certain amount of sense.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I for one am meta-stable, Dr. Tom. Just sayin.

(still don’t get this one yet… it’s sitting on my nightstand, snickering at me.)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Regarding meta-saturation, I'm very much afraid that I am going to keep contributing to the problem. I have MOATs scheduled now through to the end of October 2023. (I constructed 4 metas in four consecutive days earlier this week. That's more than normal, even for me!)

By the way, I am completely stumped by "Split the Bill" (and the WSJ, but that's another story). Happily waiting for the nudges!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
markhr

Post by markhr »

Ben: Please don't stop. I thoroughly enjoy your efforts.

Dr. Tom: Besides WSJ and MGWCC, I do other puzzles as I have time, and try not to overstress if I can't get to one. All these meta efforts are appreciated, but if MEOW has to cut back, I for one can sympathize.

As for Split the Bill, I think this is harder than you may have judged. Some are seeing the path okay, and some (like me) are still waiting for some kind of nudge. I got the WSJ and MMMM okay, but this one has me quite mystified.
KayW

Post by KayW »

My cat still very much in the bag on this one. I greatly appreciate the efforts of all the constructors, however often they are able to share them. But I think I’m finally learning to wait for nudge day on the metas that offer them, rather than harass the constructors or more smarter muggles that have already solved.

Also, I think this puzzle had the misfortune to drop one day after a rather tricky MMMM. And MOAT, which I’m also still stumped on. I try not to work on more than one meta at a time because my little pea brain tends to conflate them. And this week, my focus will go first to MMMM because it doesn’t have a nudge day. And is a puzzle with a YTD leaderboard.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, then nudges it is!

These are in increasing order of spoilocity:

Puzzles often have repeated things that point toward the theme, and this one is no different. It has some things that have one or two mentions, but only one that appears in a total of 4 “related” clues.

The title of the puzzle gives a hint to what those 4 related clues are

The title of the puzzle ALSO gives a hint on what you must do to those 4 related clues!

One of those clues actually has a hint to the secret to the next step of the mechanism in it!

BIG I hope I have not been a pig hogging all of your time, that would be a vile thing to do
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I just spent ten minutes trying to solve this meta using the MMMM Put a Pin in It grid. Needless to say I have not make much progress on either.

EDIT: I submitted this before noticing the nudges posted.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

lbray53 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:01 am I just spent ten minutes trying to solve this meta using the MMMM Put a Pin in It grid. Needless to say I have not make much progress on either.

EDIT: I submitted this before noticing the nudges posted.
Well if the grids are now cross-referential that IS an accomplishment!

Tom
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Other constructors PLEASE do not take my message as being aimed at you. I enjoy everyone's puzzles (even more so when I can solve them of course). I am just saying that for my creations, which have been more on the MEOW forum of late, there seems to be waning interest. It could be that, as stated, mine are harder than I think. Quite possible, since nobody ever thinks their children are difficult or ugly, Still that seems to be my curse, they are either WAY too easy or WAY too hard - apparently though my mechanisms may at times be too weak they are not week two. I've looked through the 5 or 6 or so that I have "cooking" and they are no better unfortunately. Some of you (testers) have seen a couple of them so you know of what I speak.

I hope the nudges are enough to help people over the threshold, I really wanted Madhatter's Grande Finale (for a while?) to be grand.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Well, my thick head needed the spoilers to get me there. But I finally arrived.
Challenging but enjoyable, Dr. Tom.